What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got some cacti :3

Inspired by Cuda, when I was in Lowes today, I got these:

Plaid Cactus (You can see two flower buds :3)
SN852490.jpg

And Peanut Cactus (Lots of little ones)
SN852488.jpg

So all I need to do is to let them get very dry and then just water them, right?

Nice! Now I really want some too!

:banana2: :banana2: Wooo Hooo!!! CONGRATS on the new spikey additions Capensis..:-D
They are awsome looking and the first one looks simular to one that i have and its just BEAUTIFUL!!!! Nice choices.. Make sure they get good light, atleast a few hrs a day of sunlight if possible, or a well light semi shaded window, to much sunshine thru window glass can burn them just the same as being in full sun outside all day long, some cacti preffer shaded bright light, give them time to adjust to there new home, if possible repot them after they have adjusted, get some or make some real good cacti soil. After repotting make sure not to water for atleast a few days for the roots to settle. When watering your cactus, thuroughly water making sure not to get water all over the cactus, make sure its well drained and then wait till the soil is completely dry for about 2 wks. Durring fall and winter months cut back on your watering, slowly adjust the cut back till end of October then only water once a month, unless you notice your cacti looking wrinkly then water as soon as you notice this. Cacti in the winter months can recive the same light but need a slightly cooler temp. The reason for watering less in the late fall and winter months is this is the time of there dormancy, if waterd well and left to sit in the cold there roots will surely rot so durring times of watering keep them where it is slightly warmer till there pots are well drained and the soil not as wet wait a day and then place them back where its cooler. Thats basicaly how i do it and it works well for me. Being in a lit winter chamber mine recive not as strong light durring the day but enough so as not to harm the cactus durring dormancy, at night i veiw them with a black light on, keeps the pots/plants/roots cooler but not enough to cause root rot. If you keep your cacti outside and need to bring them in durring late fall winter months put them in a well light window that has cooler temps. Hope this helps they really are easy to care for and very rewarding.
You would be suprised but cacti can get sunburnt and seedlings get sunburnt if not introed to the sun the right way, seedlings under a yr of age should not recive full sun as it will quickly burn them, which i noticed with my babies when i introed them to the sun what i thought was them coloring up was actualy sun burn,:0o: i quickly brung them back in and within 2 weeks they had there natural green colors back to normal. It was my first time growing cacti from seeds i quickly learned the proper care of seedlings, they can handle strong light from bulbs but not sunshine. :blush:
Once again CONGRATS on your new additions..:-D

Thanks for the information :). So, would 2:1 perlite/peat be good? o_O I had no idea they could get sunburned, being in deserts and all. I have them outside in full sun with my Sarrs.

Your welcome Capensis.. You can go with a 3% perlite, 2% sand, 1% peat, make sure to use some tiny rocks on the bottom of the pot for better drainage. If you dont have perlite you can use pumice.. Alot of folks dont realize some cactuses grow close to some kind of other plants or shrubs of some sort that helps shade them durring the day. If you have them in full sun just keep a eye on them from time to time to make sure there not getting burned, try and find as much info as you can on the type of cactuses you have, it will help you alot...

Interesting. I don't have sand, but I have vermirculite. I can hide them behind my S. purp venosa's pot if that helps.

Back