What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas Cactus

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Just thought I'd share my Christmas Cactus with you guys. Is it really a form of Cacti? I really hope I don't mess it up and make the buds fall off!

new11-3.jpg

PENTAX058.jpg

very pretty!

Ive got two of them and neither are very happy in way of flowering. One is very green like yours and Ive had it for a year but it refuses to flower. My other one is not happy....I adopted it when my last job closed...im still trying to nurse it back to health. *ugh.

But youres looks very pretty! *jealous* :)

There is one in my school library. I was flowering and now all the flowers are dead, though it seems a little soon. Congrats on the flowers!

I just bought it on Saturday, so I'm not responsible for how well it looks, lol. I hope I can keep it up!

Nice one trapper I'm having trouble with mine though

Ive had my CC for almost a year now and this month it produced buds, they are still the same size 1 mm in across, its been almost a month I've tried misting it, more light, water tray with pebbles, warmer spot, but nothing has changed still 1mm, the only thing I haven't tried is watering it more. Please help, or is it too late for these buds?

it is a Schlumbergera hybrid, the parents are epiphyatic cacti from southwestern Brazil.......as are all the christmas and thanksgiving cacti......different species supposedly bloom at different times but while some say day length is the deciding factor to get blooms ive found i can get them to bloom regardless of what the day length is if i put them through a cool period....in an unheated den at my parents house they will bloom from October through April....

Ugh! It's already happening! I've lost two flower buds so far and the others are looking not so spiffy :-( I suck at keeping these guys alive!

Try Misting them and putting them on a pebble tray with water. This sometimes works.

carnivoure- what is it that makes you seem to think these need high humidity? Did you read that somewhere or something? I find it a little odd that you're asking questions in one thread about this plant, then giving advice in another thread about the same plant. ???

Andrew

Well it worked for me a year ago when I bought it withe buds fully developed. My question was about buds that haven't even grown a mm in a month, they were 1 mm. I've done some reading on them people say that humidity sometimes helps when bud dropping. Anyways problably wrong.

My Christmas cactus flowers every year just fine, and I don't even take care of it. It seems that cold temperatures and little light causes mine to flower, as it only flowers in the dark days of autumn and winter. I think it's pretty dry during this time, as well. I've heard stories of people sticking their plants in closets for periods of time to try to get them to flower.

-Ben

they dont need high humidity to flower or keep flower buds so long as they receive adequate water........ive seen huge plants in bloom in 10% ambient humidity.......my grandmother had one darn near 4 foot across in her dining room......due to central air her humidity stayed low.......

I've heard that overwatering is what causes the blooms to drop ???

Ive had mine for a little over a year, it hasnt flowered since but it hasnt died either lol. Ill have to try the dark thing and see how that does, although it doesnt get a huge amount of light where it is at right now. It gets water like once a week or so. Guess well see!

Perhaps its dropping flower buds because of a change in growing conditions...seems like most plants go through a "shock" period after they are brought home from the store.

I've heard that overwatering is what causes the blooms to drop ???

depends on what its used to........if its normally watered regularly no issue.......if its used to being dry all the time, sudden regular watering could cause issues.....ive kept them fairly dry and ive kept them fairly wet.....so long as its what its used to there is no real issue.....the ones i kept wetter i grew in airier mixes....those kept dryer i kept in denser mixs

I've only watered mine once, that was the day I got it because I repotted it. I haven't watered it since, but the soil is still quite damp, and I didn't even water much at all. That was almost 2 weeks ago! I read that they should only go into a dark room from September till November. Oh well, I'll just watch it and just do my best :p

it will prolly be just fine next year......the stress from being shipped to the store, sitting in the store, being taken home by you has prolly caused the issues and there aint much you can do for blooms right now....

Thanks for the info :) Hopefully it will do better next year.

I have one that I inherited from my grandmother. It's about 35 yrs old and thrives on abuse and neglect.

Back