What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Caudex and Fur!

Look at this weird thing I got today:

rechsteinerialencotricha.jpg

Rechsteineria lencotricha

It's something with a potato like caudex but the green leaves that grow out of the caudex are covered in a pelt of very velvety silver fur! My "Venusian plant collection" grows... :D

Weird plant. Kinda reminds me of the weed "Lamb's Ear".

I see you're growing it in Turkey grit/rose granite. An excellent media for cps.

Ah! I want it!
~Joe

What CPs can you grow in rose quartz? I've never heard of/seen anyone using anything other than mixes based on coir, peat or LFS. Got any pics?

It's actually still in the media it came in yesterday which is pretty much pure peat with just a top dressing of rose quartz. Even though everything says not to use peat for cacti & succulents the grower who supplies the nursery by my dad's house with these weird things I've been collecting lately always uses nothing but peat topped with rose quartz but they always die if I leave them in it when I get it home...? I generally put all my c & s in a mix made of Shultz aquatic plant soil (the baked clay bits) mixed with perlite and some crushed limestone a little coir and then top dressed with various sized epoxy coated pea gravel & river rock. I like using that cos it always looks wet and you can pick out colors to match your Lithops and stuff if you're really bored! lol!

I may wait until the leaves die off and the bulb goes dormant before repotting - gotta do some research on this thing before screwing with it too much. it's now renamed to Sinningia leucotricha. Here's a pic from online of the flower and a caudex of 13 cm but with a potential of a 30 cm caudex!
sin-leu-big.jpg

Cool! That looks like these things that grew in peoples yards near my old house, except they weren't on stems like that.

Back