What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few photos

Copiapoa hypogaea grown a few inches under lights & blooming today without warning.

copiapoahypogaea.jpg

Anacampseros sp. the flowers only open when temps are 100*F+ and they get watered at the same time! This is the only bloom I've ever seen open, my plant is loaded with blooms but only this one exposed itself. Opening and closing in about 20 mins!
anacampserosspbloom.jpg

Huernia sp. Not a bad score for $2.99! Not a smelly species though.
huerniasp.jpg

Here's an unknown mesemb that's been over watered a few too many times at the nursery (Tonkadale), look at those splits in the bodies.
mesembsp.jpg

Here's a succulent orchid called Eulophia petersii from Kenya which grows alongside Aloes and Euphorbias. It's rather like a cross between a cane Dendrobium and an Aloe with it's hard leaves with serrated edges. Flower stalks can only get to 7 feet tall... :D
eulophiapetersii.jpg

I like that orchid. It looks like someone put a pic of a Dendrobium into Photoshop and scaled it vertically by like 50%. Nice find.
~Joe

Unfortunately the blooms aren't the most awesome, rather like a brown/green Oncidium but if one could make some hybrid orchid crosses with this maybe you could make some central heating tolerant "houseplant" orchids with much more interesting/colorful blooms.

where did yah find the Huernia? im interested in that group of plants but am scared the wife might chunk the plants out the window when the flowers open......

I picked that one up at a local nursery called Tonkadale by my grandmothers house. It's just a huge set of greenhouses in the middle of an old neighborhood. They generally only have garden stuff but they do have exotic plants in one greenhouse. Mainly small terrarium plants or "fairy garden plants" as they call them and two smaller interior greenhouses of succulents which usually have only the standard stuff but sometimes weird/uncommon things pop up.

This Huernia has no smell at all. I've had several of the Stapeliads bloom before and honestly never noticed a smell like the rumors all state. One time when I put my nose directly over the corolla and sniffed as hard as possible, I thought I got a whiff of an old rubber halloween mask but it wasn't hardly strong enough to get a good stomach retching sniff as I've always heard about. lol! I think it was Stapelia schintzii angolensis that had the rubber mask smell. The smell was similar to Sauromatum venosum (voodoo lilly) which seems weird being an Aroid and not a succulent.

well i may just have to try one if i stumble across one then......the wifes nose is a tad sensitive so this was a group i just dismissed in order to avoid a fight

I've got a bunch of new ones of these I've never seen before from a lawyer who was moving. She sold me her whole Stapeliad collection so I'll be posting images as their blooms open over the summer. I'll be able to let you know which ones actually stink, so far I've found from the ones I've owned in the past that "stinky" label to be a rather overexaggerated rumor. Perhaps on my "mini-Somalia" plant shelf where it's 85 - 100*F+ every day they will stink more than just on a bench in regular temps.

At the moment I have Luckhoffia buekmannii and Stapelia grandiflora or gigantea coming into bloom. I'm not sure which it'll be until the flowers open. One's red and ones beige, I lost the tag someplace so whichever it turns out to be it'll be a surprise! :D

If you do pickup any make sure it has a rocky, well drained soil that dries out quickly. I rotted all my earlier Stapeliads with a peat/perlite mix at 50/50. Which is what most websites said would work but didn't for me in a cool moist area like MN. Not sure what your climate is like but if your pots don't dry in 2-3 days make up a mix that does and pot them in that. I water when they start to look like they're shriveling and then over night or at least by the time your soil dries in a few days they will be fat and plump again. If they stay wet after they're plump they start to discolor (yellow/pale) and then go mushy.

Very nice. The blooms are impressive! Thanks for sharing!

I love the second flower! Very interesting.

joossa: I love your avatar and signature. Flapjack is such a great show!

so, are you just focusing on the desert succulents and cacti or are you also interested in the jungle stuff like Epiphyllum and Rhipsalis?

Yeah, mainly the real desert stuff, mostly Namibia, Madagascar and Somaliland/Arabia it seems. Just by chance the weird stuff comes seems to come from these areas. I have a really nice red Rhipsalis Springcactus gardencenterii which had a ton of blooms on it but I didn't take a pic or if I did it was lost in the rebooting on my PC the other day and now they've all withered. Next year it should be bigger and better anyway if I can keep it right. I don't know what I should do with it permanent soil wise... I hear they need more water than standard cacti/succulents, does this mean I can leave it in the peat compost? So far it's OK but it's not in the house until winter, that's when succulents in peat rot and start to melt down.

I've found some 6" tall humidity domes for the generic Jiffy greenhouse trays (usually they're only 2" tall) so I can keep tiny orchids and CPs on eggcrate over water on the same shelf next to the Lithops and stuff. :D

Joosa I HATE that cartoon kid! I don't know what it is, maybe because he kinda resembles a Cupie Doll? I can't stand the way he looks so much I can't watch the show! LOL!
cupie-doll%2Bcopy.jpg

Joosa I HATE that cartoon kid! I don't know what it is, maybe because he kinda resembles a Cupie Doll? I can't stand the way he looks so much I can't watch the show! LOL!

But you can still bear to look at my posts right?:cry: LOL.
His show has a 1990's quality and feel to it. If you grew up in the 90's (like me), the show will seem to be very much like that golden era of cartoons.

Enough with being off topic! :-O

LOL! No I'm not at all bothered by your posts! :D

I just have a hard time seeing that kid cos I never liked those Cupie Dolls. My great aunt Myrtle collected them when I was growing up, she had a whole kitchen full of them. I see those Cupie eyes and hair curls in my nightmares! LOL!

I grew up in the early 80s but I never lost my love of cartoons! My fave ever was from the 1990s called "Mad Jack the Pirate" drawn by the guy who did The Terrible Thunder Lizards and Eek! The Cat. It was really not for kids though and so only stayed on for 2 seasons on FOX Kids saturday mornings but I taped every episode so I still got em on vintage VHS! You can find some episodes of Mad Jack on YouTube but a lot of them are in French... :(

It's funnier in English because I think it's Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead trilogy) who does the voice of the Captain. I love the harsh sarcasm of the show.

Wow! Really love the Huernia sp.

Very nice!

Josh,
Would you stop posting pics of the cool cactus and succulents!

I like the unusual looking cactus and succulents and thought when I have room to start getting some.
I do not have the room now!
Today at Lowes I was looking at some. Stop posting pics or I will not be able to control myself and buy some. LOL

Pssst, I picked up some more today! LOL! $2.99 for a 4" pot is just so hard to pass up! Local nurseries are "insane" as far as I'm concerned cos I'd pay more! Just don't tell them that! If succulent people started charging orchid prices I'd be ruined!:D

Lookit this huge plant a fully grown adult size spreading clump:
mesembsp2.jpg

I thought it was moss in a pot til I looked closer.
When I repotted it the fibrous roots are extensive compared to the plant.

A guy I know told me it's called Neohenricia and depending upon the bloom color will reveal which species.

I have been shocked by the neat stuff at Lowes! We have only one in my area and every time I go (not often) there's usually some neat succulents or CPs and stuff. Many times it's things I bought off ebay and paid extra for shipping I could have picked up there for next to nothing.

^I agree. Mt local Lowes always has a very nice, healthy, and extensive collection of succulents.

It's amazing what strange succulents are out there.... :)

Back