What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Succulent ID PLease

It does look like some kind of Crassula (Jade) or Adromischus but I don't know of any species in either of those families with spines... Possibly some kind of small Optunia species or cultivar? ???

You got a stumper there!

If you went to www.cactiguide.com/forum someone in the ID forum could help could help but I see their forums are down today. :(

Thanx for the input

Found it
It's Delosperma Echinatum

Neat it's a relative to the Mesembs - my favorite succulent family made up of Lithops and it's weirder relatives!

I didn't know any of them held spines, cool!

Yeah I guess it's related to Ice Plants
The spine aren't sharp / They actually soft

Here's one of my Lithops / It's got a nice cluster going

Soft spines, like papery or rubbery?

What you have there in the pics with the dime is an Aloinopsis schooneesii a relative of the Lithops. Good luck with it, I can melt those bad boys down like nobodys business! They survived best for me if they NEVER got direct water at any time but rather just got sprayed and some water ran into the soil. I found out that in their habitat it "never" rains, only coastal fog blows over their habitat nightly in the wild giving them water that way. A lot of the southern African succulents are like that, basically getting some dew and that's it.

On the subject of Lithops, don't ever let your true Lithops plants get stacked like that with multiple bodies ontop of one another. The true Lithops should only ever have a single pair of leaves, two pair if the new ones are emerging from fall through spring or if it has created a second head off to the side. After some decades a cluster but a cluster of single heads side by side - no stacking. When Lithops sp. get stacked like the Aloinopsis they will die by being "strangled" essentially. It's just their weird biology, some mesembs can be stacked like the Aloinopsis and some can't be allowed to for their long term health. So to prevent stacking that means no watering the entire time the new body is emerging from your Lithops. Watering it then will make the plant try to hold onto the old body which needs to be allowed to wither away so the new body can fully inflate. Once the old body is shriveled and crusty around the edges of the new one go ahead and give it a "wake up" watering with a tiny dribble, not too much as the roots will have gone dormant from no water, then in a week flush the pot well with some fertilizer enriched water (high Phosphorus and low or no Nitrogen) and you'll see the new body really inflate.

"Soft spines, like papery or rubbery?"
Well they're not sharp like on a cactus / They're more like pointy hairs

Thanx for the info / ID on the A. Schooneesii / Never really new exactly what it was

I dig on this pic with the root/caudex showing
http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/AL...oonesii/Aloinopsis_schooneesii_bonsai_810.jpg
Might have to try that

I've had it for a few years now & it's been doing really good
It's probably about 3 times the size it was when I got it

I water/treat it pretty much the same as my Huernia
I over head water it about every week / week in a half or so
It's planted in almost straight pumice so it doesn't stay wet for very long

Back