What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Astrophytum caput-medusae

• Thread starter dvg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    seeds
I wasn't sure how viable the four year old Astrophytum caput-medusae seeds would be, but I thought I'd give them a try anyway.

I put four seeds into a paper towel and just a few days later, three have visibly sprouted with the fourth seed looking like it is about to sprout tomorrow, since the seed shell has cracked open just a tad.

IMG_5054-1.jpg

These seeds were from Koehres Kaktus and they have been stored in the fridge since I got them in 2007.

dvg

Awesome! I've always wanted that deformed little freak but didn't wanna part with the huge amounts of cash they usually go for on evilbay. Good luck with your seedlings!

Awesome! I've always wanted that deformed little freak but didn't wanna part with the huge amounts of cash they usually go for on evilbay. Good luck with your seedlings!

Thanks Swords, it isn't surprising that the plants were expensive...

....just a few years ago the seeds alone were going for 20 Euros per seed.:crazy:

It's a good thing that Astrophytum seeds are easy to germinate.:jester:

dvg

A young Astrophytum caput-medusae seedling starting out...

IMG_5678-1.jpg

dvg

This same seedling is sending up it's first tubercle, which actually reminds more me of a tendril or a tentacle...probably the carnivorous plant's influence coming through there... ;)

IMG_5780-1.jpg

dvg

Another update on the same seedling...the other three are doing well too, but this one is the fastest so far...

IMG_5900-1.jpg

dvg

Another update on this seedling...

IMG_6693-1.jpg

...which looks to be leaning towards the light.

This rather strange cactus species also goes by the name of A. digitostigma.

dvg

A couple of the other A. caput-medusae seedlings have begun sending up their second tubercles.

IMG_7131-1.jpg

IMG_7114-1.jpg

dvg

wooo those are cool!!

Awesome for such a short span of time!

Back