What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coryphantha tripugionacantha

Now this cacti's name is a real mouthful...Coryphantha tripugionacantha.

But it is also a magnificent cacti species.

C. tripugionacantha link

Of the thirty seeds started recently, almost all of them have germinated.
IMG_5085-1.jpg

And a closer look at one of these newly sprouted cacti seedlings.
IMG_5090-1.jpg

In hindsight, I probably didn't need to sprout these seeds with the paper towel method, but because they were older seeds, I wanted to try to keep track of them, if I had to.

Hopefully I'll have some success growing these seedlings out to mature plants.

dvg

Wow, cuties! And in five or ten years, they might look like the picture linked. XD
Thanks for sharing - very nice macro shot.
~Joe

Are you getting your seed from the folks at Mesa or is there a good succulent seed dealer up there?

Thanks Joe, they do take a while from seed, but there is just something about a plant that you were able to grow from seed, that makes that plant a little extra special.

Swords I order seed from a few different places.

Check out this link for a few places to order Cacti and Succulent seeds from:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=102

dvg

I know exactly what you mean. I have about 75 years to go before my Saguaro seedlings make their first branch. XD
~Joe

I have about 75 years to go before my Saguaro seedlings make their first branch. XD
~Joe

In the now immortalized words of that late, great raconteur Wison Mizner, "Life is a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the toughest."

...good luck with that... ;)

dvg

A couple pics of some Coryphantha tripugionacantha seedlings in two pots.

Pot #1
IMG_5497-1.jpg

I was surprised how viable this four year old seed turned out to be with 100% germination and robust young seedlings.

Pot #2
IMG_5488-1.jpg

These seedlings were germinated in paper towels and all had sprouted within six days time.

dvg

A Coryphantha tripugionacantha seedling showing some of it's spines...

IMG_5724-1.jpg

...they almost look like insect antennae or even like they have hoar frost on them...they don't. ;)

dvg

An update on how these seedlings are coming along.

IMG_6655-1.jpg

dvg

Back