What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithops ID, please :)

I snapped up this Lithops at a local nursery, but it didn't come with an ID ("Lithops species," gee thanks :lac: ) I've been poring through the forum and I now understand that one of them is stacked. Swords, it will take me days and days to get through all the info you've deposited here, it's awesome, thanks!

Anyone care to try and ID this little guy?
gallery_6079_405_10039.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

Another question, this time concerning succulent mix (I can feel the groaning, but please bear with a newbie). I bought some Black Gold brand cactus mix and the label says 40-50% pumice, which I understand is favorable for drainage. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'll upload a picture of the label tomorrow. I also have some Turface coming in a few days, will that work? I have pumice, perlite, peat, LFS, silica sand available.

Does anyone know where I can get some Turface/Schultz APS around San Jose? What I have coming in I had to buy online and pay shipping. None of the typical hardware stores or garden centers have even heard of it (Lowe's, Home Depot, Orchard Supply Hardware, Ace Hardware). Thanks again, all!

Last edited:
Lithops olivacea is what it looks like to me.

If you need some APS and can't find it. Try going to an aquarium supply store and pick up some. They have a bunch of types there that should suffice your needs. I use Flourite in my mixes.

Thanks for the ID and tip NY, I will call around to the LFS :)

Bonsai shops or clubs may have Turface. I was able to buy a few pounds from a place around here that specializes in bonsai, orchids, and tropical plants.

That's actually where I purchased my Lithops. They didn't know much about them.

Flourite is a nice call. If I remember correctly from my planted tank days it will provide a little iron.

thanks fuddmain, but I have since found a great source for Turface around the San Jose, CA area. It's a 5 minute drive from me to spend $13 for 50 pounds hehe. They even gave me an extra bag because it had a tear and they couldnt sell it. Now I'm looking for 1/8" crushed granite. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere hehe.

Excellent.

You may get lucky and find that decomposed granite is used for poultry grit in your area. In that case, any farm or feed store will have it. Unfortunately for me, in Florida poultry grit is almost exclusively crushed oyster shell. I finally, this past weekend, found a place about 20 miles away that specializes in landscape rock (boulders to gravel). They had crushed granites screenings. It's not as consistent as the poultry grit with pieces ranging in size from 3/8" to dust, but it should do. If I can find some of that allusive roundtoit I'll screen out the larger pieces to use for top dressing.

I was surprised that most aquarium gravel wasn't quite right. It was either too big, epoxy coated (which I wasn't sure about), ugly, or just not quite right. Maybe I'm too picky :)

Good luck.

i made 40 minute drive out to a gardening supply place after hearing that they had 1/8" crushed granite. I brought home a 100 lb bag only to discover, after screening, that the yield was 10% at best =/ Good thing it only cost 5 bucks. What I got will hold me over for now but I'll keep searching for a proper source. Every feed store I've contacted about poultry grit has a mixture of crushed oyster shell. I think it's a regional thing.

The search continues!

The correct scientific name is Buttus plantius.

Back