What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cactus/Euphorbia in need of some help.

Hmm.....o.k. A couple of things seem wrong in my opinion. Because of the yellowing then shriveling up, could be the roots are rotten. If the roots are o.k. I would up the watering to where the soil doesn't quite dries out. You say its cold outside...how cold? Is it in an area that gets dry heat blown on it like from a vent?

Hmm.....o.k. A couple of things seem wrong in my opinion. Because of the yellowing then shriveling up, could be the roots are rotten. If the roots are o.k. I would up the watering to where the soil doesn't quite dries out. You say its cold outside...how cold? Is it in an area that gets dry heat blown on it like from a vent?

The area is no drier than the rest of the apartment.
It's getting to be fall here, so I'm wary of putting it out, despite our current 70-80 degree weather--and last time it got munched and had white stuff on it.

I'll check the roots tonight--hopefully I've underwatered it somehow. I'm really lost on it--it was doing much better before the re-pot and soil transfer.:-(

EDIT: and the stem is like a deep brown--really looks like rot to me, based on what happened last time.

Im sorry I can't be much help. Im at a lose here. I've mentioned all I can think of. Try and take cuttings from nice green growth to start new plant. Again sorry I can't be any help. I've only had something similar once but it was with a cactus not a euphorbia. All my cactus and euphorbia or outside. I don't do anything until I see the temp getting into the 50's.

Im sorry I can't be much help. Im at a lose here. I've mentioned all I can think of. Try and take cuttings from nice green growth to start new plant. Again sorry I can't be any help. I've only had something similar once but it was with a cactus not a euphorbia. All my cactus and euphorbia or outside. I don't do anything until I see the temp getting into the 50's.

At this point I don't think there's much anyone can do.
I don't know if maybe somehow the soil is bad? But it's just Miracle Gro cactus Mix, and I can't see anything in the soil making an impact this quick--that seems like something that would take a long time to show up. Plus, my mom uses MG all the time--I know it's not popular for carnivorous plants--but I can't see a euphorbia, a hardier plant having this bad of a time w/soil.

I'll just try taking some cuttings and hope for the best.

I use the Miracle Gro cactus/palm Mix as well for all my cactus with no problems. The only problems I do have come up is my my euphorbia and succulents whereby I have to shift them around when they get too much sun and burn or when they are not getting enough. How is the main trunk of the plant above the soil level? If its brown and soft, Im afraid that it is rot and the rest of the plant is also slowly going down. For my euphorbia's I do water them more often than the cactus; maybe once a week.

I use the Miracle Gro cactus/palm Mix as well for all my cactus with no problems. The only problems I do have come up is my my euphorbia and succulents whereby I have to shift them around when they get too much sun and burn or when they are not getting enough. How is the main trunk of the plant above the soil level? If its brown and soft, Im afraid that it is rot and the rest of the plant is also slowly going down. For my euphorbia's I do water them more often than the cactus; maybe once a week.

Yeah, it's brown and kind of squishy--not super squishy, but there is a definite squish factor there. I have NO IDEA how this thing got root rot, it's been over a month since I watered it! Maybe I over-did it? But I didn't do anything different than I did in the past. :-(

Ok, so when this plant goes, should I toss out the old dirt in case there is some sort of contagion in there, or is it OK to re-use the dirt? Because it was kind of pricey.

Id say you can go ahead and reuse it.

Okay, assuming you haven't chucked the plant yet. It is hard to tell from your pic but it does look like rot running up the main stem. If you have some healthy branches you might be able to take cuttings.

I'm actually rather amazed Joel hasn't had an issue with the MG cactus soil. That stuff is crap. (No offense, Joel -- if it works for you the more power to ya.) We can talk about media later.

If you decide to take cuttings, make sure that you keep cutting off the lower section of the branch until you are certain you have only healthy tissue. If the core tissue is discolored at all, keep cutting off sections of stem/branch until only healthy tissue remains.

IMPORTANT: STERILIZE the blade after EACH cut. It will do you no good if you isolate healthy tissue only to infect it with whatever pathogen is killing the plant by using a contaminated blade. Blade sterilization is best achieve by passing the blade several times through the flame of a propane torch. (The flame of a butane lighter or candle is not hot enough to do the job so don't waste your time with that option.) As you mentioned living in an apt, you likely don't have a propane torch. So your next best option is disposable razorblades. Once you've used a blade to cut off a section of branch, toss the razor in a tin can and get out the next blade. You can actually sterilize the used razors later, if you wish, by putting the can of blades in your oven and baking them for about an hour at 350-400F. If that seems like too much trouble, then you can try a 3rd option though it is not as thorough as the two previous. First get a sharp knife you really don't care what happens to. (Salvation Armys, GoodWills, Dollar stores can be good sources.) After cutting off each section, dip the knife blade in straight bleach for a minute then wash the blade off. The bleach will likely corrode the knife blade which is why you don't want to use a good one.

Now assuming you have some heathy cuttings -- do NOT repot them right away. The cuttings must be left in a dry place until the cut end(s) callus over. Plan on a week or two -- possibly longer if you have a large/thick section. They do not need to be kept particular warm during this time nor to they need anything stronger than indirect lighting.

Cuttings all rotted on me, and the main plant withered and died.
RIP.
Now I just have this big pot filled with sadness.

Back