What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic succulent Watering Advice?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So within the past month I received some cuttings or an assortment of succulents. I need to get some pictures, but I currently have no idea of the species or anything. I potted them all up in 50/50 sand/peat mix. Of the 5 different plants, two already produced some new growths from the base, one died, and two have shown no change.
so pretty basic, if I have them in a sunny window or under fluorescent on my grow rack, will that be ok for them? And how often should I be watering these. I had read about every 2 weeks, but is it better to under- or over-water them?
Thanks,
Kyle

Keep the soil moist, not soaking wet. Feel the leaves, if they feel limp, they need water, if they are turgid, they don't.Succulents are generally plants in semi arid or arid regions. Once they are established, let the soil dry out a little before watering. Before watering, feel the soil to decide if it needs watering. Just my 2 cents.

In most cases, far better to underwater than over. I'd have to disagree somewhat with riceman about moisture. Until they are established keep them barely moist. Once they have a decent root system going, most sux will start putting out new growth (though there are some that will put out new growth even while rootless -- which is why is it helpful to know what you actually have). During active growth, most can receive a thorough drenching but do NOT allow them to sit in water. They need to be able to drain well. (Which is why a coarser mix than what you're using would likely be best.) Allow them to dry out almost completely before watering again. When in doubt, don't. When not in active growth, most can go completely dry with only little sips now and then to prevent them from shriveling. When active growth begins anew, gradually increase the water.

Most cacti and sux would actually fair better in a much coarser miix. Most of mine are in a mix of fine pine bark, coarse sand, and gravel. Lightwise, a sunny windowsill or on a plantstand with the plant almost touching the lights will do. Mine go outside for the summer once temps stay in the 60's or higher. (Harden them off like you would seedlings started indoors.)

Thank you both for your help!

I'm also a succulent fan, been growing many over the years. Left side is a portion of my collection; mostly ascleps,

and02.jpg

My way is pretty simple; never water the cacti in winter, not even once. As for the succulents, water very rarely, perhaps once a month but you may even skip that if your climate is cool + moist. If you have winter-growing species, don't be afraid of watering, they will want it.
Don't water when it's too cold, wait for it to warm up a little bit.

When the growing season comes, how often you water depends on how much sun they get and how quickly they dry up. But as a general rule, they are a lot more forgiving in that season and they will do great with frequent but little watering. Some species are more sensitive than others but most will cope with overwatering in that season.

Still I definitely agree with the above comment: it's always better to underwater than to overwater. If you are in doubt whether to water or not; don't.

My mix for all my cacti & succulents is %50 ready cacti mix + %50 perlite. Always keep them in as much sun as possible, you will see many flowers and it's handy in winter.
Happy growing!

I use the pick up the pot method. Before you water it, pick up the pot with both hands. Now water it really weight and pick it up again. ;Let it dry out before the next watering. I thinking sticking to a schedule can be bad with succulents because water doesn't get used and evaporated on a 1 or 2 week schedule. After a while you will be able to tell by weight(feeling) if they need to be watered

Back