What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opuntia flower opening

Over the course of about three hours this morning and early afternoon, i had the chance to take some shots of an opening Opuntia flower.

The flower bud on the right is just about to unfurl, while the one on the left should be opening in a couple of days.

IMG_2775-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012-1.jpg

I took a series of overhead and some sideshots of the flower opening.

IMG_2778-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012.jpg

IMG_2789-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012.jpg

IMG_2786-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012.jpg

IMG_2793-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012.jpg

IMG_2802-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012.jpg

IMG_2809-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012-1.jpg

IMG_2830-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012.jpg

IMG_2867-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012.jpg

A close-up of the inside of the flower.

IMG_2865-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012-closeup.jpg

I gathered up some pollen on a Q-tip and attempted to pollinate the flower, since they only stay open for a day anyway.

-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012.jpg

A closer look at the aftermath of that attempt, complete with Q-tip fuzz.

IMG_2875-Opuntia-flower-June-26-2012-pollinated-closeup.jpg

dvg

looks like you hit the target! good luck with the seed :) sure is a funky looking plant

Thanks MylesG, with any luck my pollination attempt will result in some viable seed being produced by this plant. :)

dvg

did you start this plant from seed originally? I know most cacti/succulant seeds take their sweet time germinating but it sure is a rewarding process when you see tiny plants pop up.

did you start this plant from seed originally? I know most cacti/succulant seeds take their sweet time germinating but it sure is a rewarding process when you see tiny plants pop up.

I have germinated a few cacti from seed and yes it is quite rewarding, but this plant originally came to me as a pad from a lady in our local Cactus/Succulent Club

Very nice photo sequence.

Thanks.

dvg

I gathered up some pollen on a Q-tip and attempted to pollinate the flower, since they only stay open for a day anyway.
Even though it only stays open for a day, any chance the stigma opens up before the flower closes? In the 10th pic, it looks like the stigma has flaps that may unfold ...?

Even though it only stays open for a day, any chance the stigma opens up before the flower closes? In the 10th pic, it looks like the stigma has flaps that may unfold ...?

That may be true, and that same flower was open today again as well, which kind of surprised me.

I pollinated the flower a couple more times today just to increase the odds of viable seed.

It was overcast and cool here yesterday, but sunnier and hotter today, so maybe the pollen didn't take yesterday.

I guess i'll have to wait and see if this flower results in a seed pod.

Will keep you posted. :)

dvg

Here's a pic I borrowed from the web - you can see the stigma flaps have started to unfold. With many species (VFTs, etc), the stigma won't be receptive until it opens up & becomes sticky (although admittedly - I'm completely clueless about this plant).
opuntia-compressa050529-3817howellwdsz.jpg

A few pics of some native flowering Opuntia fragilis taken yesterday, from around the Edmonton area.

IMG_3297-cactus-flowers-July8-2012-Gibbons-Alberta.jpg

IMG_3337-cactus-flowers-July--8-Gibbons-Alberta.jpg

IMG_3367-cactus-flowers-July-8-2012-Gibbons-Alberta.jpg

IMG_3355-cactusflowers-July-8-2012-Gibbons-Alberta.jpg

dvg

Back