What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Casualties

Post your winter casualties here. I've had a few minor problems but this one is the biggest problem so far.
IMAG1055_zps0937480a.jpg

IMAG1056_zps366c93f2.jpg

Survival for that one is gonna be tough but its definitely not a goner yet.

I'm sure I will be able to post a lot after this winter is over. :-(

Yeah I've lost quite a few Kalanchoe and my large zig zag Euphorbia as well. The rest I loved inside so they should be okay rest of winter. My whole aloe bed with my philadendron got basically annihilated.

I lost a S. purpurea xx courtii and S. x formosa to heat this summer. Fingers crossed the other two Sarracenias survive.

The main winter challenge here is the Phalenopsis(s) alive and unburned.

But of course, it doesn't snow here... or get frost even - so winter's pretty easy.

We don't usually get frost, but its froze in the twenties or so for a few days several times this year. Usually simlly covering my sensitive stuff works but two days of that did a number on stuff even while covered and dry. I hate winter. Just cannot win. :(

In my zone - 7b - I just get used to bringing anything I don't want to die inside for the winter. It's the way I plant in the spring. If I love it and want to keep it, it goes in a pot and comes inside. As a result I have what I call the "groaning table" (an old worktable) in my bedroom, covered completely with succulents, cape sundews and d. tokaiensis and d. aliciae on top of a small dresser, and more succulents in the kitchen window and on various tabletops throughout the house. The VFTs, d. intermedias, and pitchers are covered in several inches of pine needles in the mini-bogs outside.

In the last decade, we have had winters with 60+ degree Christmas and New Year's Days for several years running. The last three winters have been unusually harsh for us, with 11 inches of snowfall in 2012-13 and 4 inches of snow so far this winter. We have had single digit lows multiple nights in a row, and stretches of up to a week where the high never got out of the 20s.

In my garden, every winter is a crap shoot.

It's funny hearing of a winter with 11 inches of snow being considered "harsh". heh But then we are used to having far, far more than that. ;) In fact, a winter with only 11 inches of snow would have severe negative repercussions for us.

It's funny hearing of a winter with 11 inches of snow being considered "harsh". heh But then we are used to having far, far more than that. ;) In fact, a winter with only 11 inches of snow would have severe negative repercussions for us.

What a difference a few hundred miles makes, huh?

I lost a lot of plants, but some have died just to the pot/soil surface, so hard to tell wether to ashcan them or see if the come back. One of my favorite neps died inside the house, the others are very unhappy for the most part. But others are doing well, so a mixed bag. My two story tall dragonfruit partially froze, and I had to remove the rest from the building. To the plus side, I have lots of healthy cuttings available of various sizes if anyone should be interested.

Back