What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I stake it? If yes, how?

Last May, I bought this interesting aloe at Lowe's - it was in a 3 inch pot and was already 5.5" tall. I got it home and got to looking and found out it was a. ciliaris (and I think it's a. ciliaris var. tidmarshii, because the teeth go all the way to the base of the leaf).

And that it would grow and grow, rapidly.

It's 15.5 inches tall now (measuring from the gravel to the tip of the topmost leaf). It kind of sways when I rotate it to keep it growing evenly.

I know in the wild this plant uses other plants for support. I'm thinking I probably should stake it - soon - and wonder what you would suggest to use.

I have some 1/4 inch dowels and a roll of velcro stripping that I use on my climbing and rambler roses.

This is an indoor plant, so using other plants as a prop is not possible.

Thoughts?

I used to grow an A. cilaris but I never used a stake to hold it up. Instead I grew it in a hanging pot and just let it grow however it wanted.

What I would do is put in two stakes, one on either side of the plant at the edge of the pot. Tie your string or tie at the point you wish to hold the plant on one stake, then tie to the plant. Same on the other stake. That should hold it more or less in place. Or use the bamboo trellis-y thing.

Back