What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crested Graptoveria 'Fred Ives'

Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' is a pretty well-known succulent hybrid, with a reputation of being extremely easy to grow and propagate, and a bit hardy.

The crested form is also very cool. Today I was at a local nursery, and decided to get the plant again. I probably really don't have enough sun for this, so I may mainly propagate it and see if someone local wants it.

Here's what it did for me quickly a couple years ago, from June to August (note the changes due to my low light; there is also substantial growth on top of that). The pot is 4 inches:

I found this very easy to propagate, although I think I lost the little plants to squirrels, lack of sun (and gave a bunch away). Leaves placed on soil quickly did this:

Probably you can't tell, but the stems are flat, not round as one would expect for a "normal" (not crested) plant. There are also multiple growing points, also not easy to see, on at least some even at that stage.

Anway, here's the one I got today, about to lose some leaves:

It does have a tendency to revert, either at the stage of leaves to plants, or at individual regions on a given plant. Those can be removed, and then one is left with non-crested 'Fred Ives', which is still a very nice plant.

Back