What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haworthia cooperi troubleshooting

Hey TF. I picked up what is definitely a Haworthia and what I'm quite confident is some variety of cooperi. It appears to have a little etiolation. It does not seem to be taking water currently. The leaves are not turgid, however, they do not display wrinkling. It does have roots, and is anchored to the soil. I want to ask if it is still in summer dormancy, or if there is a potential issue with this plant. I am aware it is a winter grower but my Haworthia truncata, another winter grower, has begun to grow.

Last edited:
Will likely depend somewhat on the plant and the conditions in which it was previously grown. Don't have coop, myself, but most of my Haws are still in their summer holding pattern. Expect them to start kicking into gear in October. (My tessellata bloomed this summer has already put out new pups -- a couple right out the bottom holes in the pot. Goofy plant.)

Lol dragoneye id love to see a photo of that!!

Cwatson1414, do u have a photo to show the plant and how it looks and have you checked the roots? Id unpot check the roots if you haven't and take a photo to post for us to see to give better advice on the situation. Also what media are u growing it in and do u have any idea what conditions it was in before and what conditions its in currently at the moment (temp,light and water..etc..etc...conditions) hopefully all will be well with the Haw, Goodluck :D

Photo please, and like Kat said a description of the media helps as well.

It was growing in a windowsill, really dim lighting. It was dry when I got it. It's growing in an incorrect mix, very peaty. I haven't repotted it yet. I haven't checked the quality of the roots.
It's growing under 4 four foot T8 lights. Temps are in the 80s during the day and 70s to high fifties at night. I watered it once. When I determined it was not taking water, I did not water it again.

Last edited:
Temps in the 80s would be more akin to dormancy conditions than growth period. How close to the lights? And yes, the peaty media is not a great option.

if it isn't taking water check the roots if they are dry and brittle and kinda flat and break off they are most likely dead and should be removed and leave what is left of living roots to develope again.

Hey. Checked on the roots and they actually look fine. I guess it could be still dormant or whatever. Thanks for your help everyone.

Hey, just wanted to say it took water today. I watered it this morning. Thanks for the help TF.

Back