What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithops in Bloom

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
One of my Lithops decided it wants to flower. There's one now and another on the other way:

Attachments

• IMG_20151015_154842.jpg
    IMG_20151015_154842.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 73
Beautiful! L. aucampiae I presume? All but my L. salicola rotted this summer. I decided to chance not moving them in from the rain, since last year I was doing it multiple times a week and it became wayyy too labor-intensive.

Last edited:
Congrats on the blooming! Lithops are definitely very challenging plants for me to keep long term. Pity. Such nifty lil plants.

Beautiful! L. aucampiae I presume? All but my L. salicola rotted this summer. I decided to chance not moving them in from the rain, since last year I was doing it multiple times a week and it became wayyy too labor-intensive.

I'll take your word on the id! One of mine rotted as well.

Nice looking flowers. Does this picture show color pretty accurately? Specifically the pink at the outside.

Nice looking flowers. Does this picture show color pretty accurately? Specifically the pink at the outside.

It's more of a red than a pink in real life.

Since most of my succulents are set and forget except for an occasional watering, I suspect our drought had something to do with my success. Winter under lights with minimal watering is the easy part.

Upon closer inspection, the reverse side of the petals is definitely pink. Also the flower seems to be becoming redder as time passes. I'll be posting another pic of the plant in a day or two when the second flower opens.

A bit of trivia: Aizoaceae blooms have such vivid colors as a whole because, rather than having anthocyanin pigments, they rely instead on betalains.

Hey Kevin is there any chance for a Lithops that rotted a bit at the bottom losing the roots? The plant actually looks ok otherwise. I treated with a rooting hormone and figure to treat it like an Epiphyllum cutting.

Yes, but it depends how far up into the vascular system the pathogen traveled. If it got to the meristem (it's very tiny, center of the plant) you're screwed. I have saved ~2 before. Otherwise, I like Dip N Grow, not for any rooting potential whatsoever, but because the solvent is ethanol, which is a great sterilant. First step is getting it sterile, then just leave it completely dry and see what happens. I like to blot off every last iota of water before I bury the plant, even in dry media.

Last edited:
Yes, but it depends how far up into the vascular system the pathogen traveled. If it got to the meristem (it's very tiny, center of the plant) you're screwed. I have saved ~2 before. Otherwise, I like Dip N Grow, not for any rooting potential whatsoever, but because the solvent is ethanol, which is a great sterilant. First step is getting it sterile, then just leave it completely dry and see what happens. I like to blot off every last iota of water before I bury the plant, even in dry media.

Ok thanks for the hope and info!

Both flowers, plus a preview of more to come:

Attachments

• IMG_20151022_161929.jpg
    IMG_20151022_161929.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 54
Beautiful! It's always a tough call on Lithops, but I would tentatively guesstimate the one to the lower left being L. karasmontana.

Beautiful! It's always a tough call on Lithops, but I would tentatively guesstimate the one to the lower left being L. karasmontana.

Again, thank you sir!

777ac49cfd60ef7681e17c9650b77606.jpg

I just got my very first Lithops today! Unfortunately it's not in bloom, but hopefully it will be soon :)

I just got my very first Lithops today! Unfortunately it's not in bloom, but hopefully it will be soon :)

Just keep an eye on the slit down the middle. It seems to be starting to open, so watch for the flower bud emerging.

Gorgeous! I would get it immediately out of that peaty media and into a coarse mesemb mix. Wash every bit of the organic matter off the roots and everything.

Sand, perlite, permatill, turface, and crushed gravel are all good things to blend into a suitable mix. That peat mix will murder it quicker than anything you could ever do to it.

Last edited:
Gorgeous! I would get it immediately out of that peaty media and into a coarse mesemb mix. Wash every bit of the organic matter off the roots and everything.

Sand, perlite, permatill, turface, and crushed gravel are all good things to blend into a suitable mix. That peat mix will murder it quicker than anything you could ever do to it.
27b003ade93ee96bbd2fd74b9f5cb14c.jpg

Repotted it into an all mineral ping mix I happened to have on handy, I got most of the peat off but there was a little bit that was just too deep in there. I'm hoping this ping mix isn't too fine. How often do you think I should water it? How will I be able to tell if it's getting ready to flower or to go dormant?

Back