What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help ID'ing some succulents!

• Thread starter h.the.cvt
  • Start date
Hello!

I'm new to the forum but not new to succulents. I've loved succulents for ages - but some I'm not sure what they are!

7231fdfb407fdfc5c6e2dcaaa4822a66.jpg

e1886769c5bc7c0ab58fba09d84be3aa.jpg

c5f9df9fc8f7577796bd27cb3aa11bc1.jpg

aa3ea2e67318ac007c00729afe07ff97.jpg

5e354dabbda14c32764afe4c02074ad2.jpg

8c513570285eaabd44fffcc151ceaa1c.jpg

c0ddb12eb62796a65fecb525fc266bf0.jpg

5da29303fbf997d9c78c2a1c057d94c2.jpg

I've gotten these from all over - gifts, greenhouses, etc. Any ID help is greatly appreciated as well as any advice!

Thank you!

*H, CVT*

#4 Cotyledon 'White Sprite'
#5 Echeveria, looks like 'Chroma'

BTW the Cotyledon looks wet. It shouldn't be. It's winter dormant and should be kept bone dry until growth resumes in the spring.

Last edited:
Most of those plants are showing definite etiolation (stretched, weak growth) due to insufficient light.

#1 Looks like it might be a Gasteria X Aloe hybrid.

#2 Is likely Echeveria agavoides.

#3 Is an Aloe .... probably a hybrid. Could even be an intergeneric hybrid.

#4 Looks like a Senecio to me, but as Subrosa seems very confident, I willingly "bow out" before his identification.

#5 Is an EXTREMELY etiolated Echeveria.

#6 Appears to be an Agave.

#7 Believe this one is an Aloe.

#8 Is an EXTREMELY etiolated Haworthia .... Possibly Haworthia tessellata.

Most of those plants are showing definite etiolation (stretched, weak growth) due to insufficient light.

#1 Looks like it might be a Gasteria X Aloe hybrid.

#2 Is likely Echeveria agavoides.

#3 Is an Aloe .... probably a hybrid. Could even be an intergeneric hybrid.

#4 Looks like a Senecio to me, but as Subrosa seems very confident, I willingly "bow out" before his identification.

#5 Is an EXTREMELY etiolated Echeveria.

#6 Appears to be an Agave.

#7 Believe this one is an Aloe.

#8 Is an EXTREMELY etiolated Haworthia .... Possibly Haworthia tessellata.

No bowing here Paul, it looks like a beat up specimen of this one of mine, but I wouldn't know a Senecio from a Pinocchio:

Attachments

• 1453297744822140166092.jpg
    1453297744822140166092.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 86
I know that that Echeveria is looking leggy, but it's in the brightest window in my house. I don't understand why. Is it inherintly bad for them? Like, stressful?

*H, CVT*

I know that that Echeveria is looking leggy, but it's in the brightest window in my house. I don't understand why. Is it inherintly bad for them? Like, stressful?

*H, CVT*

Obviously the plant in unimpressed that it's in your brightest window and is telling you it needs supplemental lighting.

5 maybe Echeveria 'Perle von Nürnberg' I have one and thought that's what it was, its looks very similar , leggy as but I hope mine will sort itself out in the summer

3 reminds me of Aloe brevifolia.

Supplemental light doesn't have to be complicated, but for succulents inside, I've found it to be necessary.

I like these inexpensive clamp on work lights, which I use with 13 and 23 watt daylight CFLs.

You can see the edge of one of the larger ones to the right of the ponytail palm.

I know that that Echeveria is looking leggy, but it's in the brightest window in my house. I don't understand why.

You've made no mention of where you are nor what your "brightest" window is like. What criteria are you using as a basis for determining "brightness"? If you are simply "eyeing it," then your margin for error is huge. The light intensity required for photosynthesis is far higher than what our eyes require by which to see. Even light that seems "bright" to you can fall far short of what a plant requires. Most succulents and cacti require very high light (though there are exceptions). The etiolated growth it telling you that the light is insufficient.

If you live in a warm region with no real winter, grow you plants outside. Most cacti/succs can take full sun for some or even all of the day. (The Haworthia is one of the exceptions. Outside, they should only receive direct full sun in the morning or evening -- hot afternoon sun will fry them.). You will have to harden them off before doing so.

If you live in an area with winter conditions which are too cold and wet outside, then you can keep them in a very bright window but withhold water. If you have a bright very chilly window, you may be able to hold off watering completely. Otherwise, you may need to give them a sip once in a while if the plants start to shrivel. (In my conditions, they get a sip maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks.) Most cacti/succs are winter dormant, so water during this time should be restricted anyway. Haworthia are one of the exceptions ... Almost all are summer dormant.

Is it inherintly bad for them? Like, stressful? *

Is weak, leggy growth ever beneficial?

*H, CVT*

Well, it's a sign that the plants aren't getting enough light, and if they don't get enough light, they cannot photosynthesize properly, meaning they don't have enough energy, and worst case scenario eventually will probably start to give up on existing. (Best case, they'll just look really sad). I'm putting in another vote for some supplemental lighting. I agree also that some of those plants look a bit more moist than they should be during the winter (hawthoria being an exception, as DragonsEye mentioned. Some aloe too, if I'm not mistaken).

Back