What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's this cute buddy's name ?

Hi everyone,

Lately I received this little succulent from a friend. I love it ! But the thing is, I don't know what it is, and I would like to. Could you please help me to identify it ?

Thanks a lot : )

That's known as a stone plant. I used to have one, but a squirrel ate it. Seriously, keep it away from squirrels.

I believe that is a Titanopsis sp. I'm not too sure how to keep it from chasing squirrels though. Perhaps a tether?

I believe that is a Titanopsis sp. I'm not too sure how to keep it from chasing squirrels though. Perhaps a tether?

I hope you're joking, the squirrel ate the plant not the other way around. I'm lucky enough to have a big, grid wire cage to keep my plants in now.

Last edited:
I keep my plants firmly rooted in pots, it stops them jumping up after the birds. Your caging seems a good idea too

I keep my plants firmly rooted in pots, it stops them jumping up after the birds. Your caging seems a good idea too
Hilarious, Fredg.

Last edited:
I believe that is a Titanopsis sp

Either that or perhaps an Aloinopsis. (Might not be a species in either event. Hybrids are also possibilities.

Thank you ! Based on google image, I'd say it looks a lot like a titanopsis calcarea. Anyway, even if it's not exactly that, it will help me to take a good care of it : )

fredg - Your jokes made my day, thanks to you too : D

Last edited:
Thank you ! Based on google image, I'd say it looks a lot like a titanopsis calcarea. Anyway, even if it's not exactly that, it will help me to take a good care of it : )

fredg - Your jokes made my day, thanks to you too : D
I have to admit, it made me laugh to. But heed my warning, Keep.... That Plant.... Away... From... Squirrels...

Last edited:
curtisconners : Hehe yep thanks, but don't worry about that ! Where I live, I wouldn't grow ANYTHING outside for several reasons :

1. The weather in Belgium isn't suitable for most of my plants
2. Don't have a balcony/garden/etc
3. My apartment is surrounded by some sorts of hedges, composed by tiny trees, ivy, things like that. And snails and slugs are EVERYWHERE. I mean it. When it rains, you have to be careful about where you walk, or you'll crush some of them at every step you take. Once, one of my plants was dying (so I grew it inside), I had a look at what was happening and there were snail eggs everywhere in the roots ! A snail had made its way in my apartment when the window was open, and lay its eggs in it. After that I kept finding tiny snails all over my apartment. So I can hardly imagine what would happen if I were to put my plants outside, they would'nt make it through the night, and not because of squirrels.

That being said, I'm sorry about what happened to your cute buddy : (

Wow, I guess I'm luckier than I thought. I grow almost all my plants outside in summer.

Yes I would love to be able to do that ! I think that I could, if I had an apartment with a balcony for example. Where do you live ?

The state of Ohio, U.S.A.

Thank you to the people who were amused by my posts. However, in the UK the terms troll and trolling are completely derogatory and can be taken as a personal attack. I would request that you please edit your posts accordingly. Thank you

That would also include quotes.

Last edited:
Oh man I'm sorry, I had no idea.

Nor did I, fredg. I edited my quote that had it. Sorry for offending you there.

Last edited:
Thank you for your cooperation

Yep, that's a titanopsis, probably calcarea. They're relatively common in cultivation. It's in the mesemb family, which means it's SUPER susceptible to overwatering. I'd put it in REALLY well draining soil if you have not already, and then just kind of let it do its thing. I very rarely water my any of my species of the mesemb variety; it's often humid enough around here for them to siphon sufficient water from the environment, and the occasional light misting during their growing seasons (granted, mine are also in a much more peat-heavy mix than I'd like right now). Enjoy your new succulent friend! They're special little plants :)

Back