What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! repotting huernia and stem rot orbea

• Thread starter Gabcat
  • Start date
Is there someone experienced on huernias / orbeas / etc. who can help me?

I have a lot of questions, please read my history ��

pd: excuse my bad english, it is not my native language.

The first important thing for this "story" is that long ago, I forgot to water one of my Orbeas. She had shrinked quite a lot, but not too much.
After watered them, days passed, she wasn't taking the water from the soil and she finally rot.

Now about my Huernia
Last week, I found a stem shrinked. Fearing my huernia was rotting, I freaked out and digged up her.

But It seem she just was lacking of water, it was strange! because I watered her few days ago. Anyway, I'm not sure if it was rot or dehydration.

I separated the soil from her roots a bit agressive, later, lots of them got completely dried, It was a mess and I just cut half of the entire root system �� then I dip them on dissolved captan (fungicide) for a while.
I didn't planted her yet.

So I had my "mother" plant bare root on my table and the cuttings which fell off, I decided to repot them, but I got a bit obsessed by searching for the most appropriate soil, and I didn't found the materials at time, days passed and finally, yesterday, I decided to use what I have in my house, while I get the other stuff.
I have Quartz sand, garden soil and humus and I made a mix between 8 parts sand, 1 soil and 1 humus.

��And now, I just have all my cuttings planted... (but I think the sand hold water too much, maybe. I never used quartz sand before)

So...What should I do now ? I'm afraid that my "mother" plant would rot If I just plant her on this mix, she is stressed (I think) stems are healthy, but some are shrinking slowly.

I don't know what to expect because, my orbea (which I talked about on the first lines) after a dehydration she just rot, maybe that could happen now to my huernia If I don't make things the right way

Should I keep using quartz ? for me, buying perlite it's a waste of money, I have just two options, one is too expensive for few liters and the other too much (100 liters) which I will not use because I want pumice instead. (maybe I can change my mind)
I can't find grinded pumice for now. It will take me some time to.

should I use root hormone to accelerate the process? what should I do, How should I repot this plant without worrying of rotting?

That's it, thank you for reading, hope you can help me!

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I easily get anxious when these things happen

Last edited:
Back