Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: im sorry guys, i drifted to the dark side....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    Excellent photos, if I had more space I'd definitely grow more cacti and succulents , are they grown indoors?
    I have no backyard. Just artificial lighting. The haws in this point in time hate direct sun
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Nice set of Haws ya got there. Friend of mine has a few hundred of them, I think. (Never bothered counting them.). Even made some of his own crosses.

You can always try Haworthia, mate. Many are fairly slow growers and most can remain in a 2" pot for years.
    Your friend must have some deep pockets. I've always thought neps were pretty expensive until I saw the price tags of those maughanii hybrids.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful. I've got a very small collection of some of those myself. Would you be willing to share what substrate mixture and lighting your using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sorry guys, i drifted to the dark side....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
    Beautiful. I've got a very small collection of some of those myself. Would you be willing to share what substrate mixture and lighting your using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks very much. For my cacti mix, I used equal parts of cactus potting mix, scoria, pumice, and turface--with crushed calcium carbonate, depending on the species.

The Haworthia are in the same mix sans the potting mix and calcium carbonate.

T5HOs are used for lighting.
    Last edited by amphirion; 03-26-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    Your friend must have some deep pockets. I've always thought neps were pretty expensive until I saw the price tags of those maughanii hybrids.
    Many neps are ridiculously expensive, IMHO.
    The buddy of mine does have some haws that are worth more than a few shekels, but none of those over the top "rolls Royce" models to which you're referring.

Corky, besides being small plants by nature, Haworthia don't want a lot of intense light like so many cacti and succs do.... Another point in their favor. Most, in fact, are summer dormant.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one

two

and three
    Last edited by amphirion; 04-01-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a lot of nice cacti there. I've never seen a crest of Pelecyphora. How big is the plant?

You have a lot of Mexican slow growers there. Ariocarpus, Turbinicarpus, Pelecyphora. I saw a 75 year old Ariocarpus at the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society show one year. The Philadelphia Cactus Club shows at the Phila Flower Show. Went last year. Some really amazing ancient plants very well grown. I almost bought a 75 year old Pelecyphora aselliformis up at the CT show, but the seller asked me a very serious question first. He asked if I was will to take the stewardship of such an old plant and if I was sure I could grow it. I thanked him and declined the purchase. I know I'm still a novice.

Uebelmannia grows pretty much all year in Brazil Minas Gerais. Likes acid soil and shaded light like growing under shade of grasses. Mine actually flowered one year. But I have been neglecting my cacti recently. Lost my cold greenhouse storage for them and my CP.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysmith View Post
    You have a lot of nice cacti there. I've never seen a crest of Pelecyphora. How big is the plant?

You have a lot of Mexican slow growers there. Ariocarpus, Turbinicarpus, Pelecyphora. I saw a 75 year old Ariocarpus at the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society show one year. The Philadelphia Cactus Club shows at the Phila Flower Show. Went last year. Some really amazing ancient plants very well grown. I almost bought a 75 year old Pelecyphora aselliformis up at the CT show, but the seller asked me a very serious question first. He asked if I was will to take the stewardship of such an old plant and if I was sure I could grow it. I thanked him and declined the purchase. I know I'm still a novice.

Uebelmannia grows pretty much all year in Brazil Minas Gerais. Likes acid soil and shaded light like growing under shade of grasses. Mine actually flowered one year. But I have been neglecting my cacti recently. Lost my cold greenhouse storage for them and my CP.
    yeah, they arent going anywhere for a while, the slow growers that is. Pelecyphora is grafted, which does speed up the growth, so id imagine this plant being somewhere between 5-7 years old. its hilarious now when i think about heliamphora and nepenthes being slow growers... Uebelmannia is one of my favorite acquisitions, ill be sure to add a bit more peat into its mix. thanks for the tip!
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acidify your water for the Uebelmannia. I Have Nitric Acid at work and use it to acidify. I add a few drops to 5 gallons of tap water to bring it down to 5.5 or so.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12