What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

im sorry guys, i drifted to the dark side....

i dont even know how i got into these-- maybe it was the california drought that made me change direction. i also *accidentally* applied my "go big or go home" philosophy during the acquisition process. i think my photography got better too? i'll let you be the judge.

echinocereus pulchellus v aguirre
7A37bpS.png

copiapoa barquitensis
YbOqVuh.png

echinofossulocactus tricuspidatus
dWB2dsX.png

pelecyphora aselliformis f. cristata
IEt1rvk.png

copiapoa tenuissima
SZEoyUh.png

epithelantha bokei
iBvDXlk.png

mammillaria longimamma
0P0OzuF.png

sulcorebutia rauschii
7toCLw5.png

mammillaria senilis
10WZ04j.png

astrophytum 'onzuka'
FOkpoTh.png

gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii
9pjp5LQ.png

uebelmannia pectinifera
9i79aAH.png

ortegocactus macdonaldae
HEgQuC3.png

gymnocalycium schickendantzii
4P2bg9z.png

turbinicarpus valdezianus
PWqqiJM.jpg

ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus albiflora
bwD7nDj.jpg

rebutia kupperiana
14470534_10106009148969116_333991335895287747_n.jpg

thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:
And here I was expecting to see a bunch of orchid pictures...

Nice plants!

oh dont worry. ive got a few photos of those to upload too.

Nice photos! Particularly like the sulcorebutia rauschii .... never seen that one before.

I won't decry you. I've always had an eclectic array of plants.

You're dead to me, heh, heh, heh . . .

Excellent photos, if I had more space I'd definitely grow more cacti and succulents , are they grown indoors?

great plants and shots. Iv always love cacti.

Nice set of Haws ya got there. Friend of mine has a few hundred of them, I think. (Never bothered counting them.). Even made some of his own crosses.

Excellent photos, if I had more space I'd definitely grow more cacti and succulents , are they grown indoors?

You can always try Haworthia, mate. Many are fairly slow growers and most can remain in a 2" pot for years.

I have no backyard. Just artificial lighting. The haws in this point in time hate direct sun

Nice set of Haws ya got there. Friend of mine has a few hundred of them, I think. (Never bothered counting them.). Even made some of his own crosses.

You can always try Haworthia, mate. Many are fairly slow growers and most can remain in a 2" pot for years.

Your friend must have some deep pockets. I've always thought neps were pretty expensive until I saw the price tags of those maughanii hybrids.

Beautiful. I've got a very small collection of some of those myself. Would you be willing to share what substrate mixture and lighting your using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful. I've got a very small collection of some of those myself. Would you be willing to share what substrate mixture and lighting your using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much. For my cacti mix, I used equal parts of cactus potting mix, scoria, pumice, and turface--with crushed calcium carbonate, depending on the species.

The Haworthia are in the same mix sans the potting mix and calcium carbonate.

T5HOs are used for lighting.

Last edited:
Your friend must have some deep pockets. I've always thought neps were pretty expensive until I saw the price tags of those maughanii hybrids.

Many neps are ridiculously expensive, IMHO.
The buddy of mine does have some haws that are worth more than a few shekels, but none of those over the top "rolls Royce" models to which you're referring. :)

Corky, besides being small plants by nature, Haworthia don't want a lot of intense light like so many cacti and succs do.... Another point in their favor. Most, in fact, are summer dormant.

one
sjsdpgs.png

two
kkAbzL7.png

and three
N7FcbXY.png

Last edited:
You have a lot of nice cacti there. I've never seen a crest of Pelecyphora. How big is the plant?

You have a lot of Mexican slow growers there. Ariocarpus, Turbinicarpus, Pelecyphora. I saw a 75 year old Ariocarpus at the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society show one year. The Philadelphia Cactus Club shows at the Phila Flower Show. Went last year. Some really amazing ancient plants very well grown. I almost bought a 75 year old Pelecyphora aselliformis up at the CT show, but the seller asked me a very serious question first. He asked if I was will to take the stewardship of such an old plant and if I was sure I could grow it. I thanked him and declined the purchase. I know I'm still a novice.

Uebelmannia grows pretty much all year in Brazil Minas Gerais. Likes acid soil and shaded light like growing under shade of grasses. Mine actually flowered one year. But I have been neglecting my cacti recently. Lost my cold greenhouse storage for them and my CP.

You have a lot of nice cacti there. I've never seen a crest of Pelecyphora. How big is the plant?

You have a lot of Mexican slow growers there. Ariocarpus, Turbinicarpus, Pelecyphora. I saw a 75 year old Ariocarpus at the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society show one year. The Philadelphia Cactus Club shows at the Phila Flower Show. Went last year. Some really amazing ancient plants very well grown. I almost bought a 75 year old Pelecyphora aselliformis up at the CT show, but the seller asked me a very serious question first. He asked if I was will to take the stewardship of such an old plant and if I was sure I could grow it. I thanked him and declined the purchase. I know I'm still a novice.

Uebelmannia grows pretty much all year in Brazil Minas Gerais. Likes acid soil and shaded light like growing under shade of grasses. Mine actually flowered one year. But I have been neglecting my cacti recently. Lost my cold greenhouse storage for them and my CP.

yeah, they arent going anywhere for a while, the slow growers that is. Pelecyphora is grafted, which does speed up the growth, so id imagine this plant being somewhere between 5-7 years old. its hilarious now when i think about heliamphora and nepenthes being slow growers... Uebelmannia is one of my favorite acquisitions, ill be sure to add a bit more peat into its mix. thanks for the tip!

Acidify your water for the Uebelmannia. I Have Nitric Acid at work and use it to acidify. I add a few drops to 5 gallons of tap water to bring it down to 5.5 or so.

Back