What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euphorbia Obesa - Help Needed

• Thread starter NemJones
  • Start date

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
So two days ago I discovered my beloved Six year old Euphorbia obesa Has begun to rot out of nowhere.
The pod like succulent started doing the dreaded "lean" and the entire root system and base of the cactus has completely liquefied.
However, the top half of this succulent is still firm and not mushy.

Is there any way to save this, or is it a gonner?
I was thinking about chopping off the lower diseased and mushy areas, drying off the hardened section, then throwing some rooting hormone on it
but I would rather not prolong the suffering if it wont work.

NO I WILL NOT GRAFT.
Thank you for any input.

cmrABtZh.jpg

UhWo1psh.jpg

Last edited:
It seems to me you ought to be able to, as you suggest, cut off the top, healthy part and root that. You may not even half to add rooting hormone. Just make sure you use entirely new soil, of course.

Cutting away until you reach healthy tissue is doable. Sterile the blade between cuts. Rooting hormone is unnecessary. You can, if you wish, dust the cut end with cinnamon... it has antibacterial properties. Allow cut to callous for several days to a week. Place in a bright, warm location.

What media were you using?

Also, based on its appearance, it needs more sun.

The media was course rock and pearlite.

Sadly, After making the first incision, The entirety of the core
was brown and rotted. Thanks for all the input

Sorry to hear that Nem :(

Back