What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil?

T

Tara

Alright, I have this really cool green pot that a "moonlight" cactus or two would look really great in. But I would need to go buy some and repot them. My question is what kind of soil do I use??
confused.gif
Anyone got any idea?

You should be able to find commercial cactus potting mix at your local garden center (Home Depot, Walmart, K Mart, etc.). This should be fine for you.
smile.gif

This should work if your container has drainage holes. If not, Use a lot of sand and take great care with watering.

MY mother has her cactus in a large wide and deep glazed ceramic "thing" I don't know what to call it but she layered the bottom in a few pebbles and about 2-3 inches of sand, then regular cactus potting mix. Just my .2 cents.
smile.gif

Jeez! I forgot about drainage *blush* and my pot doesn't have holes. So a few inches of gravel or sand (or both?) and then some cactus potting mix? Would that work? Also, can I plant more than one cactus in the same pot??

No drainage... dangerous. Be very careful with the water. It can be done though. Multiple cacti can go in the same pot if there is enough room.

Well, my mother does it! She has the touch of something.
smile.gif

LoL ok so I guess the pot I have wouldn't really be a good cactus pot...there is no drainage. Unless I drilled some holes in the bottom which may be bad since its a ceramic pot. I'll have to look for something else
wink.gif

Ceramic pot, no drainage... perfect for CP's.
smile.gif

Edit: Before anyone jumps on me... some CP's.

Okay, only water it like once every few weeks, its not your standard plant, its a cactus it stores water and will split if it fills up to much. Becareful, if the pot isnt that big, potting 2 plants in one container could kill the plants. 2 plants=tons of roots+smallpot=roots wrapping around and suffocating each other. And remember it can take direct sunlight all day.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">its a cactus it stores water and will split if it fills up to much[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Actually it will rot the roots not split the plant

Back