What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a cool flower.

I'm sure someone will know what this is...

Cactus_flower_web.jpg

and i sure was glad to fing this topic , if i am not mistaken it is a huernia species but i'm not sure . i hope it last long enough cuz it sure stinks very badly but its nto relkated to any aroid though .

Good call man, that's definitely it.
smile.gif

They grew by the millions on our farm in South Africa. We called them "stinkblome". The locals eat them as a cure for hangover. The locals call them by their Hottentot name which requires a "click" sound, and probably only Jako and I can pronounce it.

Is this one also a Huernia? Anybody know the name of this species? I like its compact growth and would like to get one.

116-1628_IMG.JPG

That's also a Carrion Flower. One whiff and you'll know right away why it's so named!! If there's alot of interest I'll try to get a friend to send me some seeds.

Just don't ask (if you're not married) your sweetheart to smell them!

I'm interested in seed!
smile.gif

YES! me too please! I own Stepelia gigantea and have been trying to find more species of these fascinating succulents to no avail.
Does any one else see the sphincter in the Huernia species?
wink.gif

Do you see these too?
S_flavbr.jpg

How about this?
S_hirsuta.jpg

Heh, I call Huernias the swollen a$$ plant  
wink.gif

Khai, I believe those two pics you posted are Stapelia, not Huernia.

I'll see if I can contact him. He's Gert Kruger, and a lithops grower and exporter. You should see his stuff. He's going through some stuff, though, and I hope where he's moved they have internet access.

I realize they are Stepelia I was just posting them as some examples of this extremly variable family.

Amazing, I've never seen such flowers.
Nice pics guys.

joe

Trust me, they're better to see than to smell!

I'll take your word for it, I'm not much of a cactus person anyways. Too cold in the winter and the kids wouldn't like them in the house.

joe

I have one of these plants but I don't know what kind. I got it from a friend of the family in sunny California. I live in cold michigan. It's a house plant now but was grow outdoors in CA. and was flowering like crazy. Mine has been grown indoors now for two years and has never flowered! Does anyone know how to get these things to flower?
sad.gif

put it outside in the summer. But gradually, dont burn it.
wink.gif

Thanks Khai,

I tried that last summer but no flowers.  I will try again this summer.
confused.gif

Back