What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithops help

• Thread starter shadow_walker
  • Start date
S

shadow_walker

I've got a pot of lithops here at work and they are slowly dying one by one. It seems to starts at the bottom of the plant. It looks like the the base of the lithops is rotting. The plant will turn to mush and then shrivel up to nothing.

I used to water them once per week. I thought it was too much, so now I only water once every two or three weeks, and it is still happening....

What is going on? I need help to keep the remaining ones alive.
Thanks

You're watering too much. Unless you have really low humidity, water once a month, or even less. From when they enter dormancy in the fall, until they start growing in the spring (after they fully emerge from the old leaves), don't water at all. Also, when you water, make sure it is only a little water. They'll almost never die from too little watering.

What I do is to give them a light spray from the mister every other day - 3 seconds on the constant mist (for me). The top layer is 1" of sand and it dries out in about an hour. The lithop roots barely get water that way, but I feel better about watering because I'm such the meddler!

Too much water! I water once every 2 mons... they're fine!
smile.gif
perhaps there are no drainage holes? It's best to water from bottom half an inch every 2 mons. Just my $0.02
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Back