What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blooming schlumberega?!?!?!

Hi,
My christmas cacti is blooming again, it just bloomed a month ago, and theres a bud coming up, what should I do? Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin
Christmas cactus are cactus from the Brazilian jungle , here in Norway are they very popular and was one of the first house plants that came to Norway in 1800, I think,
they like it moist wend they are bloming, wend they are not bloming, water them every time wend the dry a little bit. Keep them outside in the summer, they like that and that also help them bloom later in the winter or sooner.hope this help
Bjørn

thanks you BjØrn! I will keep the soil dryer now!
Kevin

Hi Kevin, I forgot to say that they like it more shade than other cactus...
Bjørn

They aren't self-fertile, so if you want seeds, you'll need pollen from another plant. I just recently tried this on my moms plant, and it seems like a pretty easy plant to pollinate, allthough it takes a long time for seed to ripen.

I did that last year, at a local grocery store, they had some plants with ripe pllen, i "borrowed" some and i transfered it to my plants stigma, but I didnt get any seed
sad.gif
, thanks,
Kevin

Flowering is short day dependent: to get the best results lights should be off after sunset from about October until the buds set (usually in Dec.). Although it likes it dry after flowering, keep it moist at other times: this is not a desert cactus but a tropical tree growing form.

Back