What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithops recovery

Recently, our local nurseries began carrying Lithops. I was tempted to purchase a couple but needed some time to decide. I returned to the stores a week later, only to find all of them over-watered and growing up, out of their containers.

If I was to purchase one and with proper care, would they return to their "rock-like" state?

rock.gif

The rock-like state is I believe the dormant stage. From what I've read, and to be honest it isn't that much, Lithops have two periods of dormancy a year.
Go to this excellent site about Lithop care:-    http://lithops.info/en/index.htm
Personally I've never had much luck with lithops, I'm too generous with the water!!
Good luck and happy growing, Neil.:D

I am no expert in Lithops growing, because I have killed off 80% in my care. However I know that with insufficient light Lithops tend to grow longer towards light source, they are best grown with strong overhead light, once grown lengthen it will remain, next opportunity to grow right will be with the new growth (new leaf) coupled with the correct lighting conditions.

Back