What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never much on here

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
It sucks that there is never alot going on in cacti and succulents. I love cactus they are my favorite plants. I have tons of them, my collection is huge though it dwindles over every summer as I trade and give away alot and then build up new plants again. My plants are ready for summer except the temp is not ready for them. Perhaps I will post some pics. If anybody reads this.
laugh.gif

Joe

I'll post some pics but I'm going to Colo.Springs for the weekend so I won't be posting them till like Mon. or Tues.

Joe

Succulents and cacti are nice plants, but it's perhaps a CP distorsion, but after growing bogs plants for 8 years, try to switch on dryland plants without watering too much, it is a bit hard ;)

Nevertheless, Asclepiads recently took my attention with Huernia , Stapelia, etc... A new collection just begins ;)

Well, you have ME, LOL.  I have more than a passing interest in succulents and a moderate interest in cacti, especially the rare forms.  So, are you growing any of these Ariocarpus species, Obregonia or  any of the Discocactus?  These are my favorites I think, although I also love the Astrophytum.

Jungle cacti are really wonderful species.  I have lost most of my Rhipsalis collection but these were my favories followed by the Easter Cacti forms.

In succulents, I have a majpr interest in the caudex forming stem succulents, especially the Madagascarian species.

I have to set limits on my plant interests which are extensive.  I would also like to cultivate the Gesineriads (hope I spelled that right), Orchids, Bromelliads, and Amaryllids but my space restrictions wont allow for this. What I really need is a job in a major conservatory, hee hee.

Cacti flowers are beautiful, and I love their forms.  What I do not love are the spines!  After years of injuries (some of frightening proportions) I have largly abandoned this family of plants....but if you ever hear of a sweet deal on an Ariocarpus fissuratus that isnt a scrawny seedling please let me know.  I have always wanted to meet and grow this plant.

Opuntia are especialy bad all those glochids in your skin! Trust me I eat there fruit and if they aren`t suficiently ripened and you dont wipe off the spines you get quite a mouthful!

To busy with carnivorous plants. The cactii are tough, thankfully.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 23 2004,11:16)]Opuntia are especialy bad all those arioles in your skin!
The tiny stickers your refering to are called glochids, they grow out of the areole.

And yes, they can be quite a pain (pun intended)

CD

If had known that Tamlin, about the Ariocarpus fiss. I could have gotten a nice one for dirt cheap. I recently sold my large one and I was at a cactus show recently as well and where some friends were selling large ones too. For like $10 they had 10+ yr old plants and my plant was somewhere around that age as well. Perhaps I'll see what I can do. There is a large show comming up here soon. Did you get my PM?

Joe

Ok heres one that shows some from last year. I have more now and am working on getting pics of them them.

Scan1.jpg

Ooooops sorry about the size. This is the first pic I've posted.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cactusdoug @ April 25 2004,12:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 23 2004,11:16)]Opuntia are especialy bad all those arioles in your skin!
The tiny stickers your refering to are called glochids, they grow out of the areole.

CD
Thank you for the corection.
smile.gif

Imagine having one of those rusty colored teddy bear ear Opuntias (a huge one) on a shelf 6 foot up. Imagine being bare chested and having the whole flipping thing fall. Imagine CATCHING it, clasping it to your body. Just imagine that.

If this ever happens to YOU remember: duct tape is your friend.

Ohhhh, those Euphorbia look sooooo tempting! I like them because they have thorns vs spines.

I have come to hate spines.

I see some other old friends in your collection: a nice Astrophytum and some cool monsterous forms of Cerus.

Tamlin, 2 plants to the right of the white pot in the center, where it is just a glare is actually the Ario. fiss. I had that was 25+ yrs old it was actually a rescued plant from a ranch going to a parking lot. I sold it to Arid Lands as a breeding stock though it was actually pretty old, it had a new gene pool.

Joe

Well, a thumb cactus(M. matudae) is blooming right now. My technique is to let it bake till I feel sorry for it. To bad the same thing happened to one of my neps!

Whats the M? Melocactus, Myrtillo, Matucana?

Joe

Mammilaria. Whatever it is, it looks like a little hula dancer right now. I should take a pic before all the flowers are gone.

A cactus someone gave me(with nasty spines) is flowering too... a pair of large, ice blue flowers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ May 01 2004,9:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (cactusdoug @ April 25 2004,12:08)]
[b said:

CD
Thank you for the corection.
smile.gif

Your quite welcome pondboy

CD

Back