What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i sprout cactus seeds?

I tried them once and they didn't sprout... Can i have some instructions?

High humidity is a must for at least the first 6mo's. of growth. The easiest way is to use Gerber containers that have lids (must be clear not blue). Use a free draining soil mix and and sprinkle the seed 2-3 per container. Then lightly sand over the seeds so that they are 1/8" burried. Lastly if you like, you may add something like Banrot or similar. Then spray water over sand. I say spray cause otherwise it's likely that the seeds would be watered farther down into the mix. OK, now put the lid on and put in bright light. Keep above 75deg.F. at all times until established. When it is growing right along you may begin poking pin holes 2or3 at a time in the lid until acclimated to newhumidity and temps. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Joe

What do you have seeds of? Some can take up to a year or more to sprout. Some also need an intense heat to start them. Though most will sprout under general conditions as I posted above. Be very careful ! Insects love cactus seedlings and will eat them very quickly.

Joe

Back