What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watering!

hello
smile.gif

i just recently bought a few tiny succulents from a "rescue" sale at my school's greenhouse... one is Haworthia minima, one is some variety of echeveria as far as i can tell (very short, chunky sage green leaves with a faint blush on them), and one was called "lavendar scallops" but beyond that i can't identify it (scalloped leaves with white and pink on the edges, pale green in the centers & stalk). i put all three under a light with my flytraps, since i was told they all like strong light (the VFTs are right out of tissue culture so they're still on a 15-hr photoperiod). while the "lavendar scallops" is doing beautifully, the Haworthia is looking a bit brown at the base of some of its leaves and the echeveria-thing has some wrinkly looking leaves at its base. now i got these plants two weeks ago and watered them once, a little bit. are they lacking water or getting too much? what exactly do these guys want? ;)

thanx!

You'll know when they really want water cuz they start to wrinkle up but I usually water mine once a week. But mine are on my windowsill and not under a hot light. The brownness might just be a result of not enough light at the greenhouse. It will probably go away in a while. I wouldn't worry about it that much.

I never water my plants. They go outside in the warm months and the rain gives them everything they need. In the winter they over winter just above freezing and totally dry. It is hard to underwater these plants. Most cultivtion errors are from too much watering.

During the summer Echeveria can be water hogs though! My Aloe vera(whats the real specific name?) gets full sun and moist soil for the above freezing months...then in the winter it stays in a place where there is hardly any light(next to the fireplace) and is rather cold with no water at all! I meen none! I never fertilize it eiher....I`ll consider it next year.

Back