What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shrivelling kalanchoe

hello

a few weeks ago i began to notice the edges of the leaves on my young kalanchoe (fedtschentkoi, lavender-scallops) beginning to look brown. one leaf in particular started to get two very wide crescent-shaped scoops out of its edge that slowly spread and now half the leaf has basically disappeared. it's like there's some invisible razor slicing off thin little pieces of it millimeter by millimeter, leaving a dried brown edge behind it while the rest of the leaf looks fine. i can't find a single insect of any kind on it (not even mealy, which has been plaguing my VFT recently), so i'm wondering if the problem is water. i had to leave it alone in my dorm room over thanksgiving which is when this started, and since it was dry when i left i gave it a little extra water to tide it over for a week, then watered it again when i got back. i've been VERY skimpy on the water lately but it isn't doing much of anything. the new leaves are looking healthy, however. any advice? (the plant gets about 14 hours of artificial light a day and its location is nice and warm).

thanx!!!

A kalanchoe site

Moonflower, I did a quick search but could not find anything under that scientific name. However, I DID provide a link to a decent site that has a care sheet.

I have never had the common kalanchoes, but have had the one that is called, "Mother of Thousands".
smile_h_32.gif

Lol.Jim the many called mother of thousands! I have 3 species right now of them.

A/K/A: Mother of Millions, Pregnant Plant, Alligator plant.... Goldtrap referred to it as a weed....

Nope pregnant plant is a species of Ornithagalum.

Moonflower:maybe you`re heater just turned on and the lower humidity\higher temperature shocked it?

hello, just a little update
smile.gif

while the unhealthy-looking leaves aren't looking any healthier, they aren't looking any worse either. plus it's putting out teeny little new leaves at the top!!! one of the half-dead ones halfway up the stem actually has a root sticking out of it. dunno what's up with that, but hey... propagate away. i think i'm going to look for a nicer pot and some real cactus/succulent soil when i get home, it seems like it has regular potting soil at the moment but hey, what do you want for 75 cents... besides the money goes to buying pants for my school's new greenhouse
smile.gif

and jimscott this is what my plant kinda looks like (sorry, no digital cam of my own til christmas ;)):

tn_Kalanchoe_fedtschenkoi_mar.jpg

it's about six inches tall right now, cant wait til it gets bigger!

My kalanchoe drops leaves all the time when things in the apartment change. I don't have it on the right care schedule, and that's probably part of it, but mostly it seems to do that to spite me when the temperature or light conditions change. If you pinch the tops brutally for a few weeks, it'll branch and give you plenty more leaves. In any case, there's little to worry about - I've been messing mine up for about three years, and they're still all here (although pretty leggy.) I've noticed that when mine has a chance to dry out a bit (wilts just slightly) they tend to keep their leaves a little longer, so that cactus mix will probably help.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Dec. 14 2004,8:45)]Nope pregnant plant is a species of Ornithagalum.

Moonflower:maybe you`re heater just turned on and the lower humidity\higher temperature shocked it?
Noah: Perhaps a little knowledge is a dangerous thing? (On my part) Those were the "common names" I was told. *more crow to eat*

"more crow to eat" eh?

Moon:Mine grow arial(sp?) roots all the times from in between there leaves so not unusual:)

Moonflower: How did your first semester go? Whatcha taking next semester? Did you survive dining hall food?
smile_m_32.gif

Back