What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random cacti shots

DSCN0269.jpg

Here's the first one. This one produces large lily like yellow flower(wish I still had a photo).

acac.jpg

This came as "Mammilaria oaxa" if I remember correctly. Any chance of pollinating the flowers?

acac2.jpg

1) Name escapes me - white flowers with yellow throat?

2) only if you have another cactus. Not selfable

Joe

Would it be possible or advisable to do a Mammilaria hybrid? I also have a M. matudae flowering.

It could be done, afterall if I remember right oaxaca is a hybrid.
The name of the first I think is Echinopsis sp. (?)

Joe

I moved some pollen from the matudae to the oaxaca but nothing seems to have happened. Will try again.

Here is the bloom of one of the un ID'ed cactus
DSCN0a.jpg

In the process of opening
DSCN0403.jpg

And another mystery cactus(I like this one)
DSCN0465.jpg

DSCN0475.jpg

wow those are awsome. I wish i could grow them and get them to flower.
how long do they last? (the flowers?)
do they only open at night?

Depends on the flowers. The small flower ones(matudae and oaxaca-I'll need to get a pic of matudae up as it is really cute looking) can bloom for weeks on end. Meanwhile, the big flowered ones the flowers only last 3 days at most. Thats why I take photos of them
smile.gif

The smaller flowers close at night and open in the morning. The large ones start opening sometime in the evening and then are fully open when you wake up in the morning. After being fried by the sun for some time they keel over.

All the cacti we've got here are blooming or have bloomed this year. I don't do much for them-just put them in an area where they get lot of intense sun-put them in 50/50 playsand/soil, and let them go bone dry and then flood them when I feel sorry for them.

They seem to like that.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]-just put them in an area where they get lot of intense sun
and therein lies my problem
smile_h_32.gif

i get so little sun I usually say i just have full shade. I only have 3 cacti... I'm not expecting them to flower any time soon :p

Look at it this way Alphawolf: Their are plenty of things I'd like to grow or have tried to grow that didn't survive very long because they were fried to a crisp by the sun/heat here. Use what you've got!

Then again, those cacti are for sure going to hang on until you move to a sunny place.
smile.gif

true, I've had them for two or three years now :-D
I love it when I can grow "full sun" plants in full shade lol.

Back