What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoping i can get help with ids, guesses are great

Hoping I can get help with IDs, guesses are great
photo of plant #1-
bd778945.jpg

Plant 2
f19bd420.jpg

Plant 3
59f9c831.jpg

Plant 4
c6bebcdb.jpg

Plant 5
49f785b1.jpg

Plant 6
ee125bb6.jpg

Plant 7
1c287519.jpg

Plant 8
2f85b917.jpg

Plant 9
5e0d49e7.jpg

If anyone has any ideas, please share them with me. I also picked up a few small terra cotta sampler trays.  2 pots had 4 different cacti in them a piece and 1 tray had 6 or 7 assorted succulents in it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1) Echinocereus morricallii (?)
2) Cereus tetragonus
3) Oreocereus
4) Cereus jamacaru
5) Pachycereus or Sagauro sp?
6) Cereus jamacaru monstrose "sport" or Curiosity plant
7) Cereus tetragonus "Fairy Castles"
8) Trichocereus cristate or can't think of name
9) Crassula argentea

Wild guesses but Genus should be close. I am not very good with cactus naming any more.

Joe

IMPRESSIVE!

Ya, I found out they were glued on. I felt like an idiot. I have to sit down and take some time to wiggle them back and forth to get them off. Some ding dong used a glue gun to get them to stick on. Those cacti look ridiculous with those poofs of straw on their heads.

OK Big Kahuna,
here's two more photos of my cacti trays. Help me if you can. I don't know how best to ask you to take a stab at them but how about from the top around clockwise. I am really proud of my babies. They're my very first venture out into the world of cacti and succulents.

Cacti Tray #1
e3fe281e.jpg

Cacti Tray #2
12c68598.jpg

The succulent tray.  Maybe if you know what any of these are you could start with that largest one that is light green and work your way around clockwise.  The flowers on the one succulent thingie are real. I tugged on them a little and they felt real.
19d87b46.jpg

By the way superimposedhope, I know you are happily married but I'm sending big cyber hugs to you anyway for trying to help me!

Tray 1)
top center gold: Parodia
right fish hook: Mammillaria perezdelarosae
bottom spider spines: Gymnocalycium
left very spiney: Thelocactus

Tray 2)
back-middle golden: Cleistocactus
back-right red top: Gymnocalycium grafted onto stock of Hylocereus undatus
golden cluster front left: Mammillaria prolifera
bottom-right white spines: Thellocactus

Tray 3)
back-right and back-left green with white spots: Haworthia reinwardtii
Bright green-center tallest: Aloe
Right with pink flowers: Kalanchoe
bottom left dark red and green throat: Escheveria hybrid

Hows that?
Joe

Nice work Sherlock!
I can't put it any closer than you did, but can confirm you have the genera right.

Watch those cacti thorns, they can be nasty. I gave up cacti from being stuck once too often, but I grew them for a decade. PAy attention to the winter rest requirements and you should have some beautiful REAL flowers.

Check out some of the stem succulents and caudex formers. NEarly as much personality in them as CP.

YOWZER! superimposedhope, you be da man! Forget the hug, big kiss to you for your help!  

Couple of questions-  

What is peeking out slightly above the Kalanchoe with the little pink flowers in the succulent tray?

Cacti thorns Tamlin?  Did you say cacti thorns?  You mean those things that I spent about an hour with a tweezers plucking out of my body?  Those cactus thorns? I had no idea how visually impaired I was until I tried to extract blonde cactus thorns out of my Caucasian flesh.  What fun! Can't wait to go to work this morning with bandaids all over my hands after trying to unwrap them.  All I did was take them out of their little foil and cellophane bondage wrappers. Ouch ouch and triple ouch. I'm thinking tongs are the way to go with those things when I have to transplant them. Either that or oven mits. Let's see those cactus thorns penetrate that and work their way into my hands. Any better way to handle them that will do less damage to me? I so hate pain.

Please explain what I need to do to make sure my cacti get the proper winter rest requirements.  Do the succulents have winter rest requirements?  If so, what are they?

I take the cacti I have are all temperate species?  This may be a good thing.

How frequently, or rather infrequently, should these precious little babies be watered?  I am told I can use regular tap water. Is this true?

What potting mix are you all using for your cacti?  Scratch that, what should I use for mine as you all might have tropical cacti?

What should I use for the succulents?

those thorns are why i stick to mostly succulents and epiphytics. the ones that have thorns dont seem as bad as most of the desert varieties. you need a Selenicerus(sp?) hamatas. the thing is a weed. its doubled in size since i got it from Joe last May/June and it wasnt exactly small then. flowers a foot across(though i havent seen one yet, Joe says next year probably). its coming down to the shop after i get back from St. Louis as its quickly trying to over grow my CPs at home.

Mist them with water first as some are capable of goin airborn. Duct-tape is the way to extract the hair like blonde spines. Use the tape like you would a body wax and all gone spines. Tap water is fine and water when it is totally dry all the way through. Frequency depends on humidity and heat locally. Fertilize at half strength if desired. Soil should be very loose with pumice, sand, lava rock, grit, things like that. Ocasionally hort lime can be added to terrestrial desert Genera if desired.
All the Selenicereus are extremely vigorous and invasive like an Ivy.

Thanks for the kiss
smile_m_32.gif

Joe

Oh dear!  It's late and I'm slap happy!

Here ya go Joe!  For all your hard work!
0ad70c1a.jpg

Horticultural lime, huh?  Where do I get that? My all time favorite chain of gardening centers (Franks Nursery) closed down. They used to have all the nicer stuff.  I don't think HD carries that but I will check. Also too, what type of a fertilizer do I use?  Do you have a name brand for me?

By the way, out of the plants that I photographed individually, take another look at plant #2 and plant #4.  #4 is an oddball as it only has 4 lobes and it is columnar. It doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. #2 doesn't seem to fit anything. The shape is wrong totally to match anything I found and that's another one that has only 4 lobes. C. jamacaru has 5 lobes or maybe it was 6. Most of the others have many. I just can't seem to find any cereus that have only 4. Pretty much all of the others have 5 or more. I was able to zero in on the other plants based on all of your ID's. Holy cow do they play musical chairs with renaming and reclassifying cacti. I've never quite seen anything like that. The other thing is all these nurseries seem to rarely bother to register their cultivars. You'd think they'd take the time to follow through and register.

No worries about invasiveness here. Anything that isn't native to the continent stays in the house or in this case, at the office.  All of the cacti and succulents are at my office. I like them there. At home we have an aprilaire humidifier attached to each furnace. The humidity here even in the winter is at 40%.  The office on the other hand is very dry. Probably the perfect spot for all of those cacti and succulents and I have a nice big southern window to set them up in front of.

Are we having fun yet or what! I am but poor you for having to id all of my plant finds!

Ok, looking back I didn mis-nomer a few. #4 try looking up C. "Fairy Castles"
#2 Try Azureocereus, in strong light it should turn bluish. #7 I think is the plain C. tetragonus.

The splitters have had their way with the Cactacaea, it is ongoing but Dr. Hunt (no relation) of the Cactaceaen Systematics Group is ready to set it straight with the Newest Lexicon since Backeburge in June of this year. Complete with Atlas of habitats. Should be an excellent peice.

The lime you'll probably find in a bright yellow bag with red lettering. (P.S. I also use on my Clematis, they love it.)

JACK POT!

#2- Azureocereus hertlingianus

Cha Ching!
You're right on #4 too!

Thank you!

Which also carries the name Pilocereus azureus, Azureocereus hertlingianus is the correct for the moment though.

Joe

could #9 be a Crassula ovata 'Gollum'? i have this plant:

jadecactus.jpg

which was sold by the greenhouse as "Hobbit Ear Jade", and i found a number of reference pictures online labelled Crassula ovata var. 'Hobbit'. the so-called 'Gollum' variety looked exactly like yours, more tubular without the flare at the end. there does seem to be a lot of confusion on the jade plant names though... maybe someone could help both of us out ;)

Yes, it was my determination it was Crassula Oblique 'Gollum'  aka C. ovata 'Hobbit'. The deal with cacti and succulents appears to be a repeated and habitual re-classification issue. It's ongoing. I am convinced they do this to keep us on our toes. To hobbyists such as you and me, this is incredibly frustrating.

Right now I have a little cacti that I am fondly referring to as "Cousin It". It is the cutest little thing. I found a gazillion entries for "Cousin It".  Once I began to delve deeper, I learned that most of the entries were synonyms. Oh what fun.

maybe we should lump them all together as "Crassula confusius"....

personally, i call mine 'Shrek'
smile.gif

Oh oh oh!  Too funny!  Crassula confusius"....

And by gosh by goll a pot full of green ears!  And here I thought I was so cute naming one of mine "Cousin It".

Cactacea is such a confusing ......... Phyllum (?
confused.gif
?, very tired). C. "Hobbit" is the name I know it as. I would "guess cousin it" to be Oreocereus. I carry alot of cactus at work right now so I've picked back up on names again. I haven't had many desert/terrestrial cactus for a couple years. I hope my 12' Cereus peruvianus will bloom; some years it does and other years it doesn't.

Joe

::feels stupid:: May I ask what you mean by.. the flowers are glued on?

Welcome to Terra tink!

You think you feel stupid???

I bought those cacti you see photographed in this thread thinking, "How pretty, what attractive blooms".

Here's the deal, they take some sort of glue and they strategically glue those silly brightly colored fake straw flowers on to the tops of the cacti they sell to ding dongs like me who think they are purchasing a cactus in flower. It's a great marketing tool. I have pulled them all off. I had to use a tweezers on some of them to get them off. The cacti look more natural without all those goofy fake flowers all over them.

Back