What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Succulents for green roof

Please excuse the double posting, but after posting this under "General Discussion," I thought this forum might be a more appropriate place tp post this.

At Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (USDA Zone 5), where I work, there is an information kiosk with a wooden shingled roof. I am going to plant it and am wondering if anyone had had experience doing this type of project. It's about a 45 degree slope, so I plan to place a layer of Promix (perhaps mix in some of those polymer granules that soak up water) with a layer of live sphagnum moss over that to help hold the potting mix in place. I will then put a sheet of that black plastic mesh netting over the entire surface and fasten it down on the edges. I'll cut holes in the mesh where I want to insert plants. Since this may only receive water when it rains, I need to select drought-resistant plants. Sedums, sempervivums, other succulents and chives have been recommended.

Can anyone make offer any suggestions or make any recommendations? Also - can anyone recommend a source for inexpensive succulents?

Many thanks,

John

I would personally look to our EU brethren, they have been doing this for a long time. I have become interested in this in the last few months and info on it and starting "sheets" of succulents are very rare to be found in the states. However there are a few companies here in the states which specialize in this but they will divulge very little outside of a price quote.

Joe

Back