What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lophophora williamsii

lol most NA's are Catholic or Mormon or about anything else though the first two seem most common. its a lack of work ethic. the reservation here is basically a wellfair state. there are some hard working individuals though. the guy running our photo lab is a Native and i wouldnt give him up for anyone else. he is a darn hard worker and very intellegent with some college education. most however cant hold a job if their life depends on it. they are happy to recieve their government hand outs and do nothing. granted this isnt just a Native problem, their is plenty of white trash here aswell.

lol, REALLY? i thought the whole point of living on a reservation was to do our own NA spiritual things and all that jazz...

you learn something new everyday.

JLAP my friend, be sensitive regarding other religious bents other than your own and consider where the failure to worship and cherish the powers of Nature have delivered us. Your "corn god" comment rubbed the wrong way, since this is part of MY religion.
I guess Jesus slipped up when he didn't address the need to cherish and presrve our Mother.

The "war on drugs" made a 4000 year old NA religious ceremony into a crime, and demonstrated yet again the white mans indifference to any culture not their own. This law really disgusts me!

It also made it impossible to legally grow a very awesome cactus. These sort of laws are absurd, since the NA's are certainly not going to abandon thier ceremony, nor are horticulturlists going to NOT grow them because of a foolish law. No wonder other countries think we're all nut cases here. It's flipping EMBARASSING!

As far as peyote consumption goes...it is not "recreational" in any sense, but under the right conditions can teach and heal. I would be happy to discuss this in PM with anyone interested but this isn't the place. I might get banned or arrested :0(

Tamlin, my SINCEREST appologies! I really didn't know I would offend anyone. I guess I have a disdain for all religion, especially organized. I should work on that.I completely retract my comment.  I used to be heavily into Astral Projection and had amazing, non drug-induced experiences. I guess our beliefs overlap a little bit.

I agree. I think all drugs should be legalized. The ritualistic use of mescaline and ayuhuasca, as seen in in the south-american religions, as well as Iboga in africa, can be a very spiritual and meaningful. (lets please not let this be turned into another Salvia divinorum thread)

Once agian I am deeply sorry I offended you. It was not my intention what so ever.

More than 100 L. williamsii and their respective variants aare destroyed everyday due to encroachment and general destruction of land. Our govt. would rather chalk another to the Endangered species rather than responsibly cultivate a dieing plant. These plants can't reproduce at a fast enough pace to meet the demands of man and land. They will be gone from nature in a very short time period. It is also terribly unfortunate that many of the native Mexicans can't afford to set aside land for a cactus when there is money to be made but in America this is not the case nor does it have to be. This is greatly in part because of the stigma of "Diabolical Cactus"; the name given to it by Spanish missionaries. It is been rarely studied on a serious level, and those who have have little ability to change it position/stance among drugs and Flora.
I personally cultivated this plant for some time to keep fresh breeding lines but due to my ongoing legal status, am no longer able to take such risks upon myself.

How many species of Life will we destroy before destroying ourselves?
Joe

Very good Joe. I agree.

Doesn't it take like 15 years for one to grow to mature size? And they don't get big anyway.

They will flower in a shorter time period but yes, to mature size is quite a while........at least in a human time frame. The good thing is they do take from growth point cuttings quite readily in sand and lime with a little sulphur on the cut. They also will pup quicker when the "head" is taken. This leaves a very ugly plant but does increase the collection and rates a bit.

For anyone interested in a good dive into Botany and Ethnobotany from a scientific and conservation perspective, I highly recommend 'Peyote' by the late Dr. Edward Andersen. A great bookk and contribution indeed. He also wrote 'The Cactus Family'.

Joe

Did you ever grow any of the Trichocereus species? They are a great legal (sort of...) alternative.

Hey wait a second! Wasn't that genus renamed?

Trichocereus is know part of Echinopsis but is currently being undertaken by Bob Schick of the Schick hybrids. http://www.labs.agilent.com/botany....ed.html
here's the article, a lengthy read but well worth it if you're interested.
and yes, I do have a couple of the column "Trichos" as well as the only known epiphytic Trichocereus/Echinopsis - extremely rare in nature and cultivation.

Joe

That's awesome dude! I had no idea there was an epiphytic one.

I'll be sure to read that article after my coffee.

Back