What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adenium obesum(desert rose)

Does anyone know how to pollinate a Adenium obesum(Desert Rose)?

Thanks

Wish I knew bud! I have a gorgeouse Varaigated one its actually in full bud now and the blooms should start opening in the next few days!

-Jc

My blooms are about to open... any luck finding out the how to??

-Jc

found it!!

http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/program....ose.PDF
It says pollination is often not successful since both male and female plants are needed and many times they can be sterile:/
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Fruit. The fruit, which is classified as a follicle, splits along one side to release seeds
bearing a pappus (tuft of hairs which aids in dispersal)) at each end. Seed production is
not reliable, since pollination is often not successful, due to plants in cultivation being
male or female sterile.
PROPAGATION.
As stated above, propagation from seed is not reliable because of pollination problems.
For those developing new varieties, hand pollination using male/female compatible plants
is necessary to ensure the production of viable seed. If fresh viable seed is available,
germination rates are high if it is used promptly. Remove the pappus, dust the seeds in
fungicide and sow in a sterile, sandy, free-draining soil mix. Germination occurs within a
week at 85EF, and after a month seedlings should have at least 6 true leaves and be ready
for transplanting. Seed grown plants will often flower the same year, and should be
watered as needed and given regular applications of fertilizer.

Enjoy,

-Jc

I wasnt able to open the file. Do you have it a saved on a program (Mircosoft Words etc)?

Mine polenates and bears "fruit" a couple of times during the summer and fall. It apparently "selfs".

Has it been given proper dormancy in the winter? As far as I've seen they require a period of less water, and less light in the winter.

Friends,
I am from India and have over 50 cultivars of adenium with me. You guys can contact me for any help suggestions etc.
I also sell and trade adenium seeds and seedlings alongwith plants.
Thanks.
Pramod.

Back