What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithops

Hey all,
I recently picked up two lithops at Lowes. Anyway I have a question, is the pre-made cactus soil good to use for lithops?

Also when can you replant these guys?

Man you know I had terible luck with lithops .. I blame it on where I live! Theres way too much humidity in Florida!:/

In anycase they need a light soil that drains well, so the standard cactus mix should work... you might want to add a little extra perlite to the mix.
Pretty much everywhere I read it said the more neglect they get, the beter they do. Dont water too often that'll kill them.

Good luck!

-Jc

Hi:

I have managed to keep 10 named varieties of lithops going since July. They've been watered every week and are blooming in my west facing livingroom windowsill.

I just ordered 60+ unnamed Lithops on ebay for $24 + $5 shipping. Will have fun with trying to figure out their names. I am going to create a spiral shape in a planter with these plants.

I use 1/2 cactus mix and 1/2 pumice in my mixture. Got the pumice off ebay too.

Let me know if you have more questions. I should have my Lithops book back next week from a friend.

alright thanks u guys.

now when do i replant these guys?

If you are looking for a good book to help to identify them this (in my opinion) is the one - and is not too expensive.
Hammer, Steven & Barnhill, Chris. Lithops, Treasures of the Veld. British Cactus and Succulent Society, 1999.

BR
Chris

ok...when can replant these guys?

A good time is during winter when the new leaves are emerging. They receive VERY little water at this time and should receive no water for a week or two after transplanting. As far as transplanting due to size, that is up to you. They can live very well in crowded situations. I like mine to have a little space.

I am trying these from seed right now. I had about a 50% germination rate and then some die off. In the end a little 30% are up from the seed and doing well. They have been going for about five months. Growth is very slow.

So it is alright to repot the plant now?

wat about watering?

yes, repot now but keep dry

water in summer only, every week or two when the compost is dry.

no water AT ALL in winter (Sept-April), wait till the new leaves are through and the old ones have shrivelled before watering, usually April/May for me

Back