Update - 12 November 2014:

I have been out of touch with the CP world for about the past seven years, or so. I am working to catch myself up. So please bear with me as I get myself back up to speed.

So far, as was true in the past. Some suppliers appear to have confused the registration of cultivar names with grex names. Grex naming is where, whenever a hybrid is created, for instance, between (Pinguicula moranensis x Pinguicula ehlersiae), the first one to create a unique hybrid could then submit their proposed name for that grex/hybrid combination - afterwards any hybrids made with those parent species, or grex-species, or grex-grex combinations could be called by that same, new and unique grex name.. The parents did not need to be the same clones, for the grex name to be valid.

However, unless something has changed, since I last was up-to-date on botanical and horticultural nomenclature (naming) only orchids and the genus Nepenthes had grex naming systems, functioning or proposed. There was and still isn't a grex naming system for the Pinguicula genus.

Unfortunately, it seems as though some, who created/originated, or distributed, some of the commonly grown Pinguicula hybrids, mistakenly treated some of the first of this genus to be given cultivar names, as if those cultivar names were actually grex names. And they were mistakenly applied to any and all plants having the same parents. For example: Pinguicula 'Weser' and Pinguicula 'Sethos'. The former is a selection from the hybrid, (Pinguicula moranensis x Pinguicula ehlersiae) and the latter being a selection from the hybrid, (Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula moranensis). For most grex registration systems, the maternal parent (seed parent) is listed first. Regardless, which parent is maternal and which is paternal, it usually doesn't matter with grex naming systems. So, P. moranensis x P. ehlersiae, would be the same grex as P. ehlersiae x P. moranensis, this thought seems to be held by the original author of P. 'Sethos' and P. 'Weser'. So, since there is no grex naming system, and cultivars are only identified by their written descriptions and photographic standard. Each plant of a particular cultivar should be virtually identical to its description and standard - if it isn't, it can't be assumed to be that cultivar. Most generally, aside from cultivar groups, just plain cultivars are primarily clonal propagations (clones) of the initial cultivar plant, though the cultivar definition allows for any plant, no matter its origins, that matches the official published description and photographic standard, to be called by that cultivar name.

One cultivar name, in particular, seems to be frequently misapplied. That would be Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'. I see a large variety among plants commonly labeled as this cultivar, with few of them matching the photographic standard.