What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating Mexican Pinguicula by Joseph Clemens

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
PROPAGATING MEXICAN PINGUICULA
by
Joseph Clemens

------------------------------------

The following is my Mexican Pinguicula propagating technique. This is my basic technique, which I tweak and modify when ideas occur to me.

First: I pull ½ or more of the leaves from plants I am transplanting. I do this beginning with the oldest leaves first.

Second: using Ziploc® snack size bags (6 ½ “L x 3 ¼” W) I place a small quantity of slightly moist LFS inside, covering the bottom of the bag. Using a plastic vial with a couple of small holes drilled into its lid (1/32” diameter) as a shaker (like a salt or pepper shaker) I sprinkle a light dusting of RootShield® brand of Trichoderma harzianum powder onto the LFS.

Third: I place the detached leaves onto the RootShield® dusted LFS in the Ziploc® bags.

Fourth: using a Sharpie® permanent marker I label the outside of the bag.

Fifth: I place the bags together where they are well lit and warm but not in direct sunlight and then I wait for about 2-3 weeks or until buds or small plantlets are clearly evident on the leaves, then I go to step six.

Sixth: having prepared enough 2 ¼" square plastic pots ahead of time (see propagule pot preparation), I gently place the budding leaves onto the surface of the pots, put four pots per gallon size Ziploc® bag, seal the bag and place it under fluorescent lights next to the adult plants.

** Propagule Pot Preparation**

Fill pot 2/3 full with moist LFS, packed loosely, top with ¼ - ½ “ of peat or peat/sand which has first been sterilized by cooking in a microwave, cooled down and then thoroughly inoculated with RootShield® brand of Trichoderma harzianum powder by dusting, mixing and then dusting and mixing again. After topping the pots I spritz them with enough water to wet the surface of the media then sprinkle an additional dusting of RootShield® brand of Trichoderma harzianum powder. The powder is very fine like dust and a little goes a very long way. In just a week or two they look like the photo in my post and the media surface is covered with beneficial fungal hyphae like a fine white spider web.

group_Mexican_Ping_Props_A1_web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back