What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for vanilla cutting

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
if anyone has cutting of a vanilla orchid, i'd love to trade. i'd like one of the more forgiving species.

please pm me.
thanks agian
clint

I have a stunning variegated vanilla. I'll pm ya!

-Jc

my mom grows sum but i dun kno what species, u still intrrested?

Be prepared tohave a big plant JLAP I have been told they need to be about 10 foot long to bloom. They take high light and only bloom for a day per flower. They need high humidity. You know when they are getting enough when the roots look furry white. I would love to try my hand at them again, but just be warned from what I have heard they are high maintance. Light loving and humidity loveing plants.

JB, not terribly high maintanence. mine are growing with lil help from me. they get no where near the babying i give my Neps. actually i know of one individual who flowered V. pompona off of an 18 inch vine in Illinois of all places without using a greenhouse, just her front porch during the summer and under flourecents in the winter. from what ive been able to gather length has lil to do with when the common commercal species(planifolia, pompona and one other) flower. the commercal grower i chatted with said that vine diameter is the key to when they are going to flower, granted you need a fairly long vine to get the larger diameter but if you get a tip cutting off of an old vine you can probably get it to bloom at much shorter than the 8 feet.

Interesting because that is contray to what I have been told and have heard from Vanilla growers in my OS. It is encoraging news though and I will probably give Vanilla a try again. The Vanilla grower in my OS has collected every if not every species of vanilla, and the were the ones who told me that you know they are getting enough humidity when the roots look furry. All my info was from other growers. I killed my varigated vanilla before it was longet than a foot long so I;m definately not an expert on them. I also killed it before I had a GH too. I;m alot better grower now because of it. LOL I;m goping to have to look for another Vanilla to try eventualy.

different growers have different experiances but i know of one indivdual with 12 species and varieties who has flowered the pompona on an 18 inch vine which shows nothing is written in stone. try them again Josh, planifolia and pompona are easy to find and fairly cheap, no reason i can see not to tr to grow them if you can give them the space. BTW i doubt he has every species, i think there are 100 and most arent in cultivation. however with a lil searching i think there are 35-50 species in cultivation in the US, most arent offered for sale on anything resembling a regular basis though.

JB,

I have been growing a vanilla on my deck from late summer to early fall and indoors on a windowsill the rest of the time here in Atl. So you should have no real trouble.

Well, this indevidual made mention of trying to get all of them, but apparently didnt knwo there was 100 + different species. Hell thats a new one on me. I;m going to try again, but have to get through some things here and wait till the threat of head explosion subsideds from the wife. Pyro Thanks for the info I will have to remember to put mine outdoors when I get one. I had the small cutting I tried in a tereium to get it started and it never did anything. I had it goig good one time but I changed something and killed it. Oh well live and learn. It was one of the first orchids I had picked up. I;m getting more experianced now.

Back