What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. northiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a number of three node cuttings of N. northiana available.
These are from a mature female plant which is many years old
and which flowers readily. It has done very well in cultivation.

Here are a couple of pictures of pitchers from the specimen
I am offering:

An upper pitcher --
NNorthianaUpper.jpg

A lower pitcher --
newNorthianaLarge.jpg

If interested, please contact me privately.

I just wanted to say that the lower pitcher of Northiana is Beautiful..And Now I have finally seen the upper pitchers
biggrin.gif

It by far the prettiest upper in the whole Nepenthes genus
biggrin.gif

Are these for trade or shipping? Can they take being outside in 90+ degree temps? I live in GA and they would be outside during the summer. Or do they require the coolness? Thanks Very nice pitchers BTW.

Josh, northiana is a true lowlander. it should do fine in GA during the summer. IIRC the main problem with northiana is that it likes constant conditions, it also likes a bit less light than most neps. but Jeff is going to have to chime in with any details on his particular clone.

Hi,

Thanks for all the interest. I've received a lot of requests, and
will reply to every one.

In the meantime, I need to clarify a few things. First, this is
a lowland species, so it will require consistently warm
conditions. Secondly, yes, N. northiana does like less light
than some species; I grow mine under fluorescent lighting.
Finally, please understand that I am not giving these away.
It took a number of years and some effort to grow this plant,
and I now have a couple of meters of vine to show for my
labor. I would like to get this clone out to others, but would
also like to get some return on my investment. Therefore,
if you don't have anything desirable to trade, I will take cash.

Hope that this answers some of the questions. If further info
is needed, please ask.

I'll trade you my life
smile_k_ani_32.gif
! J/K
smile_m_32.gif
N. northiana is a tough cookie. Doesn't like inconsistency, hates repotting, prefers something alkaline in its medium, and demands heat and humidity. I wonder how much luck I'll have with it... if I get it that is!

Actually, I have not found it to be difficult at all. Nor do I
believe that alkalinity in the growing medium is useful. My
plant grows well in a perfectly normal (for Nepenthes) acid
medium. Perhaps it's just that my clone is more tolerant
for some reason, but if that's the case, it's all the more
reason for wanting a piece of it....

ok its lovelly but is it difficult to root, is it already rooted? where are you located and what is it that you want for it, sase, money, plants, or as in the case os someone here a life?
smile_m_32.gif

I grow mirabilis, truncata, rafflesiana, and sumatrana here in inland San diego, indoors. All of them pitcher. Think I would be sucsesful in growing it here? I've had a northiana before, and I guess it wasn't too too finicky. Humidity has been kinda low here, but when I get my RO unit, I should finally be able to run a humidifier 24/7.

I grow my northiana in LFS/peat/perlit.
It took a little time for it to start of after shipment but its a steady and modarate grower now.
I also moved it to a little shadier spot.

Not trying to be a pain here, but as an experienced grower, not as much as Jeff, please only anticipate on taking this plant if you KNOW you can grow it...these sound like mature cuttings and those are a rarity of N. northiana....I have a small plant that I successfully am growing and to think of a mature cutting would be godly, so please keep your mind thinking on the correct path, don't make these cuttings go to waste.

Thanks Nep, but I don't have anything for trade and would get shot at the moment if I bought a plant. I am going to have to pass. Thanks for posting it I hope the ones that end up with the cutting do well. There will be next time.

I second that about experienced grower.
I bought one at the ICPS meeting in San Francisco 2000.
My plant was about 6" across with two-three basal shoots.
I took it home and it died back to nearly nothing.
The plant has slowly and painstakingly regrown to it's former size
only now.
I'm growing it in warm conditions 70+ temps in
an open acidic mix: peat, perlite, orchid bark, LFS

I've often wondered about repotting into another more basic mixture but didn't want to risk the plant.

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass.

I know a number of people who have been successful with
this species, so I do believe that it is not as difficult
as some imply. Furthermore, some clones are easier than others.

So, as I stated before, I am trying to get my clone, which
seems to me to be very easy to grow, out to as many people
as possible. I have done nothing special to grow this plant
to maturity; it is in the same compost that I use for all my
other lowland Nepenthes, and is treated the same. The only
real difference is that I grow it under fluorescent lamps due to
the fact that N. northiana appears to prefer shadier conditions
than most Nepenthes.

I have never experienced dying back or any other problems
with this plant. In fact, I feel that it is far easier to grow than
most highland species, and is an ideal candidate for an indoor
growing chamber.

I do believe I could grow this one if it does like hot tempuratures, my greenhouse gets around 90 degrees and humid in the day, and in the 70s at night, it is consistently humid if you think this would work and have any available please pm me

I have no clue who this member is but I just want to give some caution when dealing with him.

I contacted him privately as per request of his original post, and asked him what he was looking for, for a cutting. He told me $75, and $5 for shipping. I reminded him that this is not a sales forum, and that it is for trades. I in return got a nasty remark that I'm wasting his time. I'm not sure if he's legitly trading, or if he's just seeking profit. Just a word of caution.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] He told me $75, and $5 for shipping
I WAS interested until I saw this...
I can't see paying $75 for an unrooted cutting that may or may not make it....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Sep. 25 2005,7:29)]I have no clue who this member is but I just want to give some caution when dealing with him.  

I contacted him privately as per request of his original post, and asked him what he was looking for, for a cutting.  He told me $75, and $5 for shipping.  I reminded him that this is not a sales forum, and that it is for trades.  I in return got a nasty remark that I'm wasting his time.  I'm not sure if he's legitly trading, or if he's just seeking profit.  Just a word of caution.
*lol*  i got something like that too the same thing but no reply to whether its a rooted cutting or what.  well if it rooted will the plant die in transit?  Tony may know!  as if he has to replace a couple of northianas and see what he says!
smile_n_32.gif

edit- notice the "no reply".....
confused.gif

smile_l_32.gif
 oh well, sorta lowers hope of getting one...

Same thing happened to me. No reply when I asked him about the possibility of trades or the size of the plants. Maybe Outsiders71 caused him to give up trying to sell the plants.

-D. Lybrand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back