What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houstonherp

Send in the Clones
I had posted to the CP list serve about this, but received no responses. Here goes: during Rita, some sort of mammal pulled a tray of my CPs down and used the soil and chewed up rhizomes (hope they give him a headache!) to make a bed to weather the storm. Since the park where I work AND the greenhouse were unattended from Thursday through Tuesday, the damage was not found for almost a week. I have tried to get the plants from that tray to survive, but most were chewed up beyond surviving. PArticularly important to me were my sole plants of:

1) Sarracenia p. purpurea variety heterophylla, and
2) Sarracenia p. venosa variety luteola

BOTH of these are anthocyanin-free (all green), and were some of my more highly revered plants.

I'll gladly trade from my growlist (Houstonherp's Growlist on the growlist forum), and have several ANTHOCYANIN-FREE flowering sized S. rubra gulfensis to trade, as well as many of the others listed.n I have made some cuttings of N. x hookeriana that seem to be establishing well, and would trade these too.

I have a FREE carnivorous plant program coming up October 23 at the park where I work, and would dearly love to have these represented again before then. Please e-mail or PM me if you can help.

THANKS!!!!

Mike

BTW - Just this week, pictures were taken of a BOBCAT sitting on the driveway next to the greenhouse, and when it ran away, it headed for the greenhouse. Rather suspicious...

I would gladly send a pic of the bobcat in question to anyone who can help.

I think your program sounds really wonderful. Does it include programming for children if you don't mind my asking?

I can give up several purp heterophylla from Michigan. I will check my luteola and see if anything is available. Do not get your hopes up on the luteola. Mike, no trades are necessary for the plant(s).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 04 2005,8:33)]I think your program sounds really wonderful. Does it include programming for children if you don't mind my asking?
Hi Laura -

Thanks for your PM!

Actually, this program is open to anyone who cares to come! We (Jesse Jones Park) are a public park, and ALL of our programming is free. I will be giving away CPs as well, and since all of the Drosera I have been raising for this giveaway are still on the small side, I will probably just donate a tray of VFTs from my side business (Houston Herp Supply) to pot up and give out.

My primary focus has always been education; in fact I have a house full of reptiles - AND CPs! - that are used for nothing BUT education. It's always heartening to hear from kindred spirits such as yourself and BW.

BW - You are a one-of-a-kind sir! Thanks in advance for everything you've done to help me and countless others, and count me in for any help I can offer (hint, hint). I'm going to try to offer a little something to everyone in just a little while...stay tuned for more details in this thread!

You owe me nothing, Mike. No one I have helped with plants owes me a thing. Why? Because they should be shared so the dollar value goes away or stays too low for a poachers wallet. Nature is priceless, as is our CP hobby.

Umm Mike, you don't owe my anything either.
Take Care,
Laura

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 04 2005,9:59)]You owe me nothing, Mike. No one I have helped with plants owes me a thing. Why? Because they should be shared so the dollar value goes away or stays too low for a poachers wallet. Nature is priceless, as is our CP hobby.
You are a man of good words too! lol

It reminds me of back in August, when I was able to take our family up to an East Texas site and see Habenaria ciliatus (Yellow Fringed Orchids) in the wild for the first time. AWESOME! Why would anyone WANT to take anything but pictures? Unfortunately, we had gone up there to see S. alata and didn't see a one... : (

Back