What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for s. purpurea ssp. purpurea

Greetings,

I was wondering if someone has 1 good sized plant of S. purpurea ssp. purpurea (the farther north it's origin, the better).

Here's the scoop:  I ordered S. pupurea ssp. purpurea from a CP nursery in the spring.  They sent me the plant bareroot, with all pitchers chopped off.  Well, when the plant began to grow, I found out it was actually S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana.  It's a large beautiful plant, but not cold hardy here in Montana!

I want the real deal:  S. purpurea ssp. purpurea.  Cold hardy, tough as nails, leave it outside all winter.

PM me if you can help.

Thank you,
Brian

Brian, isn't var Montana from Montana? I always thought so, anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Oct. 23 2005,11:05)]Brian, isn't var Montana from Montana?  I always thought so, anyway.
Schloaty- var. montana (lower case M) refers to the elevation it is found growing, not the state. They can be found in NC, SC and GA.

Thanks Phil! Learn something new every day....
smile_l_32.gif

Montana means mountains.

Brian

If it grows in the mountains, then it should be pretty cold hardy. I mean, if that one isn't, then the regular venosa wont be, and your best bet would be ssp. purpurea.

Lol,

The mountains of the east are foothills compared to the mountains where I live. It can get -50F in the winter here. Only subspecies purpurea would survive.

Brian

A good wind on a snowy day in the Big Sky can drop temps easily into the -65 degrees through wind chill factor. I'd say Montana is plenty cold in the winter.

S. purp ssp. purpurea is the state flower for
Newfoundland Canada. Gotta be kinda cold up there...
Still not as cold as Montana though...

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass

How about purp heterophylla from Michigan? That one is cold hardy. Anyone from Michigan can tell you EVERYTHING about cold!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Nov. 05 2005,9:37)]How about purp heterophylla from Michigan? That one is cold hardy. Anyone from Michigan can tell you EVERYTHING about cold!
You got that right Bugweed it gets down right super freez here, we have had plenty of -40 to -50 at times the wind chill factors we get are super bad at times, to the point where you cant even breath going outside with out it hurting your lungs must have a face warmer mask on when going out in that but then again im in the snow belt area and it gets pretty bad here, we been lucky its been cold a few times already but no snow yet. Crap gota knock on wood for saying that..
smile_n_32.gif

Back