What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kentucky coffeetree (gymnocladus dioicus) seeds

Finch

Whats it to ya?
This rare native tree has a problem. The mammoths are gone. Now there is nothing to eats its pods and spread its seeds, they just fall right under the tree, and without the grinding of the mammoth jaws they wont germinate easily... sacrifying the tough seedcoat substitutes this process.

This tree has the biggest leaf in our continent besides the palms. The whole bipinnate leaves can reach 39 inches long, functioning more like leaves and twigs for the plant. As a result, the true branches are sparse and stubby, giving a coarse appearance in winter. In late spring, however, the tree is converted to a lovely ferny appearance. These leaves are among the very last to emerge, thus avoiding late frosts and allowing plants to thrive under them- it casts light shade. It has nice summer foliage, a clear yellow fall color, and the leaflet stalks may turn red after the leaflets fall, providing a 2-stage color effect. But that also means repeated raking. This tree strangely completely free of insects and diseases, with very few organisms willing to take a nibble. This tree is tough, being bothered little by heat, cold, road salt, insects/diseases, and drought. The seeds are poisonous but are not east to get- male and females are separate and must be grown in close proximity to get seeds. These seeds have good germination rates. In the spring, sacrify the thick seedcoat and soak for 24 hours until the seed swells, and plant.

I can send only 2 seeds (POSSIBLY MORE) per person of this Ice Age relic because the only female tree I can find is 3 hours away, so I would have to go back only when I need to go there, so you might not get them for awhile. I expect to be there at least once between this winter and spring so should have some by then. This tree is a superior species in regards to planting in urban and suburban locations and merits planting.

I just was there and collected a load so i can give anyone whoever much they want
smile.gif

What are the light/soil/climate requirements? I'm interested, but I live in an apartment right now so container life is a must. Thanks,
~Joe

I'll take some, PM'ing now.

-Rail

Hi, I would like some too. I am Pm'm you, Paul

. Please note that this tree is not related to true coffee and its beans are a very inferior substitute and potentially toxic in any quantity.... there has been some confusion with some other members in that regard. If only one tree is grown to maturity, the chances of it fruiting is virtually zero. The seed toxin is not eisily absorbed by the body and  the seed is naturaly avoided by creatures large and small, so you dont have to worry about them. If you do get seeds, the pods usually must be opened to get them unless the pod is allowed to decay for several years. Without sacrification, the chance of one gemenating is low. This tree uncommon in cultivation but there are only a handfull of reported problems with seeds- far less than almost any other tree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What are the light/soil/climate requirements?

THIS IS NOT A TINY TREE
This tree is indifferent to soil types or soil moisture, preforming on shallow dry heavy clay, but will be at its best in deep, rich, slightly alkaline alluvial soil,  and is tolerant of severe soil alkalinity. It fares less well with very acid soil. It tolerates a wide range of soil moisture, surviving drought well here in the northern great plains, but prefers moister conditions. This tree is indifferent to high, desecating dry/cold winds during the growing season and winter (it thrived in the ice age after all) and healthy planted trees can be found growing in zone 3a, and is fund south through atleast zone 7 . some planted specimens I have seen have some dieback, but this is rare. This tree will preform only as a young in semi shade - loves full sun. This tree is a late bloomer, going through a ungainly sapling stage into Well-formed, symetrical tree after that. This tree is always in the top 10 of most ice-storm resistant trees, and resists glaze damage and road salt.

Here are some images
W683.JPG
From www.noble.org- the whole leaf, showing the bippinateness

kentucky_coffe_3.jpg
- a mature tree, already has image credits.

Back