What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green fly orchid seeds for trade

I will soon have green fly orchid seed pods availible for trade. I would like to trade for Cps of any sort. I would prefer some of the easier to grow tropical drosera maybe some pygmea sundews and some of the dionea cultivars.

thanks,
Joel

What are green fly orchids?

Its an Orchid native to florida, this site should tell you all you need to know plus a piture of the Flowers. I found mine on a log that had fallen from a old tree, it was half dead and covered with fungus. Its an extremely hardy plant, after just a few months its thriving. My Webpage

Jodajo.  Good luck trading your orchid seeds.  Only someone with the knowledge on how to propigate those will do a trade.  Orchids are not like the run of the mil plant you start in water or soil.  They need to be sown in a lab setting in a starile environment and on an agar medium.  Kind of liek when you see the labs growing mold and things in petree dishes.  Its a little more involved than just placing them on tops of soil.  The reason they need to be done like this is because the seeds do not contain an endosperm, or yolk if you will.  In the wild when the orchid seed pod bursts open the seeds are carried away by the wind and out of the MILLIONS of microscopic seeds that are in the capsule a very small percentage will land in the proper area goring the proper fungus to start growing.  Since the orchid seed does not contain the endosperm it does not have a source of food energy to sustain itself untill it can get leaves grown.  Thats where th fungus comes in.  The fungus produces the sugars and things the plant needs as a byproduct.  The organisms have a symbiotic relationship.  Orchids planted Invetro are placed on a nutient rich agar that has the proper mix of chemicals and sugars to feed the orchid as its growing.  You have to do it streriley because the agar is also a perfect breeding ground for fungus and wold that will overrun and kill the fragile small orchids.  As I said int he begining goodluck, and if I had my flowhood built and was ready to try flasking again I would love to get some of your seed, but as it stands I do not have the facilities to take on an endevor like that again.  Atleast not at the moment.  In the futre I will.  Have a good one. If those were a self polinated orchid you could send the seeds to Troy Meyers. With the proper pictures and documentation of when it was polinated and when the seed was collected, and provided its a species orchid. He will flask your seeds for you and when the flask is ready to go into what is called a compot he will send it back to you. Seed pods normaly can produce 2 or 3 "mother flasks" then they are split into whats called "replates" normaly containing about 25 plants or so, and for your donation of seeds he will send you a free flask containing roughly 25 plants. All you do it donate the seeds and pay the shipping. Troy Meyers runs an orchid conservatory and flasking service.

Back