What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey everyone. Well, I've decided to create an Utricularia bowl, composed of U. livida, U. sandersonii, and U. subulata. ( I wanna create a mass flowering) I think that U. subulata is a bit of a weed, and I was wondering if anyone could spare a small clump? I'm not sure if I have anything you may want, but the only thing I can spare is seeds. Check my growlist to see the seeds I have. And also, will U. subulata take over my other Utrics if they're in the same bowl, or will they just 'intertwine'?

Many thanks,
-Ben

Ben, they're ALL weeds! U. subulata is the biggest weed of them all. I would keep subulata separate - and far away from any other cp's you have.

Aw man! I wanted to have a weed garden! Oh well. I suppose I'll just forget 'bout getting the subulata then....I just like the (i'm not sure if I can say this, but...) pretty flowers.
smile_n_32.gif

It's okay to say that! Hey, I tell people that my favorite flower is the pansy, followed by morning glories/moonflowers, and johnny jumpups.
laugh.gif

Oh, you'll have a weed garden alright. But if you let U. subulata loose with the others, it'll probably be all you'll have left after it takes over. Otherwise I think it's a great idea; I've started turning Utrics loose in all my new pots just because they're such an easy, nice addition. I have a tray of U. tricolor and D. capensis that is awesome in bloom. Best luck!
~Joe

But seriously, does anyone have any weedy subulatas that they might want to give away? I am thinkin of containing it in a small round fish bowl thing that'll fit in my terrarium.

Say, seedjar, do you have any pics of your cape dew and U. tricolor in bloom?

I have tons of subulata... PM me with addy.

I have a few Utrics, including U. subulata, and I have found that U. gibba is a bigger "weed". U. gibba has gotten into almost very single pot and water tray I have.  It does not seem to care where it grows. It even tried to move in with a cactus this summer! U. subulata seems more selective. It moves around but not like U. gibba.

But I don't care. I love them all. It's great coming out in the morning to check on things and finding yet another pot or tray brimming with cheery yellow flowers. I makes the world seem so much more...hopeful!

BECAUSE I LOVE FLOWERS!

If you want a mixed Utric bowl Drosera36, then do it! See what happens.  I had U. livida and U. subulata move into the same pot as did U. gibba and U. subulata this past summer and both couples are doing fine so far.

One thing though, I would start a separate pot of each Utric and keep it that way.  After they get going good, then take a plug from each of those and create the mixed bowl. That way if one does win out, you still have the individual pots of each. Plus if you want to trade at some point, you will know what specific species you have to trade. Just a thought.

Oh if want some weedy Utrics, I have a couple I can offer I think. PM me.

That sounds like a great idea. I would love to try something like that, but I don't have any spare Utrics. Perhaps I can try it with all the billions of D. capensis seeds that I have...

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think maybe that I'll PM Dyflam for some subulata. And I think I'll plant the plugs I get into little plastic cups or somethin. If all goes well, I'll prolly take a 20 gal fish tank, and plant a bunch of my Utrics in it. (You know what I'm talkin' about, Mitch
smile_n_32.gif
) Then it'll be a carpet of Utrics!

Though, I sorta just thought, how will I know which plant is which if they intertwine, and don't have flowers up?

Hahahaha, yeah Ben! You definitely need to do the 20 gallon Utric tank.

Back