What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes seeds

Hi,

I have some fresh seeds of N. mirabilis x rafflesiana.
PM or email with interesting trade offers.

How does one germinate these things? I have tried, unsuccessfully, 3X with N. mirabilis. What does it take?!  
smile_h_32.gif

Take a look at their natural habitat, This is a hybrid of two lowlanders and temperatures should be accordingly with high humidity.
I use regular soil mix with live sphagnum on top and lay the seed on it.
you'll just have to make sure that the sphagnum doesn't overgrow the seedlings, if it does - trim it. it is also good to treat with some fungucide.

Patience is the key, jimscott.
smile_m_32.gif
sry couldn't resist...some take 6 months to germinate, and others don't if they aren't fresh. Also, if you put seed of lowland spp. in the fridge too long...well then lets say u'll be waiting a looonngg time.

I have succesfully germinated some seeds I got a while back.
N.hirsuta x tobaica on LFS with a layer of peat on top. Took about 3 weeks for the first seed to germinate then 2 more week for the other 3. And hopefully more will germinate before 6 months has passed
biggrin.gif

Tho I would love some seeds from you yoss but I dont have anymore space to germinate them
smile_h_32.gif

Tyfone,
Space is indeed a problem, even with my new greenhouse it's starting to get crowded ;)
What lights were you using to germinate those nep seeds?

The freshest seeds germinated in less than a week for me (mirabilis X coccinea, w/ thanks to Lam).

I used light cold white flouroscent tubes.
I germinated them in my lowland terraria which is light by 4 of this tubes.

What about lights for growing?
Should there be a combination of yellow and white lights?
Do they make any difference?

Another thing,

I'd really apperiate it if members from other forums like the French, Dutch, German etc' would post a link to this trade offer.

Thanks!

No yoss I only use Philips TLD 840 they are not fully cool white. There are some yellow because they have stopped producing fully cool white tubes in sweden.

Back