What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria wanted

JBL

Hi all,
I'm looking for Nepenthes with compact growth habit.  Any form of N. ampullaria cuttings would be appreciated, along with recommendation of other species.  You can tell from my growlist http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=17484 that Sarracenia are my focus, but I would like to give some smaller neps a try.  

Please post species recommendations here, and PM offers even if my growlist does not contain what you want right now--we'll work out some kind of trade.
Thanks,
Joe

Joe, look for campanulata (lowland, small).

If you can do highlands, glabrata stays pretty small, as well as argentii (expensive, though).

Are the N.ampullaria a real rare species or just new in cultivation.I have read they make great terrarium species but haven't found any for sale.
Mark W.

Ampullarias are an uncommon species in the Nepenthes market.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. What about N. gymnamphora (not sure if I got this right)?

Is a highlander
smile.gif

I'm also looking for a N. ampullaria, so if anyone has a cutting or a plant, please let me know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Jan. 08 2006,8:54)]Ampullarias are an uncommon species in the Nepenthes market.
I see them occaisionally. Are they difficult to grow, or not as desirable to growers? LOL, you have a 'Tricolor' (now called harlequin I believe). How's that growing for you? Are amps slow growers? And I think highlanders are out of the question for me--too hot here in the summer.

JBL,
In my experience ( I have the green form and the spotted form), provided average lowland conditions they are quite vigorous growers. They generally can tollerate short spans of lower humidity, especially if well watered. My spotted is still fairly compact, but the main vine died on me (I forgot to water it....dumb dumb dumb), and I've had to trim the green form twice in two years for it to stay comfortably in my 75 gallon tank.

Over all I'd say they're rather easy.

im growing my spotted form in intermediate conditions, yes i know its not ideal for the plant but it was either going to have to adapt or get traded when i tore apart my lowland tank. it adapted quite well. i wouldnt say its a compact species unless you trim it to keep it from vining. i dont know why its not as common as some. the green and spotted forms seem easy to keep and more adaptable to conditions than some other species.

Hey Schloaty, would you mind posting some pictures of your 75 gallon tank? I'd love to see it!

Back