What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a "Bugscoop" [This is the registered (D. Cooke, Feb 2002) hybrid of Sarracenia courtii x S. leucophylla (Chipola)] which I would like to offer for trade for a Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa burkii luteola (Is this now S. rosea luteola?), if there are any takers.

I just cut the rhizome of my mature "Bugscoop". This is a vegetative division from a flowering size plant. I estimate that the piece I would be sending consists of a rhizome about 1.5" long and VERY thick. It has several leaves which have been cut back about 1/3. It will flower although I would recommend cutting the flower bud off since it was just divided. The flower bud has not yet emerged (the plant is dormant) but beginning to show activity.

Hmmm.  No takers.  I hope that is because my offer was not sufficient and not because this plant is not around.  When it was featured in the journal a few years back, it sounded like there was good effort to multiply and distribute it.  If you have it, make sure you propagate it!!!

Any yellow-flowered S. x excellens out there?  Maybe a white-flowered S. rosea?  S. "Georgia Peach" (I can wish!)?  

I may not get back to this add until next Tuesday, although possibly tomorrow.

If it were not for all the carnivorous plants, I would hear crickets chirping. If none of the above are offered by next week, I will be open to other Sarracenia offers. I don't have a real big collection compared to many here, but I do already have Judith Hindle, Dixie Lace,etc. Other colorful Sarr hybrids or selections of species may be of interest. Anyone have a spare all-red flava. Or a black alata crossed with a red flava? Other offers....

Hi Woodnative! You may not have been contacted with your initial post for two reasons:
1) Your offer of a vigorous hybrid may not have been of sufficient interest to someone who has a highly desired variety of a species.
and
2) I don't think the luteola is that common in collections. If you look at our grow lists, you won't see it often. And I'm not sure that it is that vigorous of a grower, leading to little spread among collectors.

Also, many of the other plants you want are not as common. Why don't you post your grow list? That might help give us an idea of what you have availble. And keep on trying! Growers here are very generous when they have plants to spare, but divisions of less common specie forms almost always merit an equivalent trade. Good luck in your searches. BTW, what part of NJ are you from? I live near Philly, PA.

I believe Trent at Sunbelle Exotics has S. "Georgia Peach" available on his website.

JBL- I realize the above was probably true, but I figured I would try!! : ) Did not, however, know if many people had Bugscoop. I am too limited in space (and dollars!!) to collect every species/cultivar out there, I enjoy just keeping what looks nice and grows well for me. A red/black form of S. flava, or S. alata would be nice, or a hybrid between the two. Are not the light flowered forms of S. rosea somewhat common(?).
I was born in Phila, and spent my later youth in Bucks County. Now I am in central NJ, with most of my family still back in Phila and Bucks!!! Thanks for you input!!

Well, almost 280 views on this topic. I can say for myself, at least, that I unfortunately have got nothing you're looking for. I wish you the best of luck, however!

I have var. luteola. Unfortunately, only one. If it flowers this year, I will give away the s. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii f. luteola
seed to any and all. Hope for a flower this year! I would like to see one anyway!

Well, I knew where one was...but I wasn't telling!  This thing just doesn't divide much does it Bugs?

No, it does not grow very fast at all, and the growth point is slow developing too. The price you pay for being unique!!

Bugweed-
If anyone deserves this plant it is you!!! At least your one plant has a good chance of surviving and multiplying. Keep nurturing it and spread it around. I hope any others lucky enough to have this, or any other unusual plant, does the same!!!
I still have this extra "Bugscoop". Anyone have anything to offer. Dark alatas, flava, or hybrids therof in return. I am also interested in a nicely marked S. minor, flowering-size with a lot of "windows".

S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii forma. luteola is rarer than snow at the equator! Even if one were available for trade, you'd probably have to swap your entire collection for the one plant
smile_k_ani_32.gif

biggrin.gif
Bugweed's gonna do it! He doesn't have enough and he's tired of that slow luteola growth. Woodnative, ship all your plants to Bugweed. I have his address!
smile_n_32.gif

Hi Woodnative,
I just went and paid a visit to Sunbelle, that was before I had read your thread. I am a newbie and don't have anything to trade, yet. However I would recommend contacting trent at Sunbelle or the owners here at pet fly trap they may be able to trade with you or point you in the right direction. I do know that most of sunbelle's stuff is in dormancy. And I can barely pronounce Sareccenia let alone understand all the varieties of it. So my little effort here is to at least try to point you in a helpful direction.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Understudy. Thank you for your input. My plants are pretty dormant right now too. Those Florida plants will be growing long before mine even begin to stir!!!
I donated the Bugscoop to the local University yesterday, since there was not much response here. That is ok.
Sarracenia is a great Genus of plants and there are some real beauties in the group!

Those of you who grow, propagate and distribute your plants!!!

Back