What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free VFTs standard and Big Mouth

(UPDATE: no more requests please--I happily already have more requests than I can fulfill. Thanks everyone!)
smile.gif

--- original post below ---

Free to Good Home -- VFTs Standard and Big Mouth

April 21, 2006--
It is spring here in eastern New Mexico, US, and I will soon divide and repot my standard and Big Mouth Venus Flytraps. I will have probably a dozen or two Big Mouth and several dozen standard VFTs that I would like to ship to good homes in the US, preferably the southern or southwest US where it's warm enough to ship them soon. There are no fees; I'll even pay the shipping.

My plants are vigorous and healthy, and I am overwhelmed with babies by natural vegetative propagation. My original 2 dozen VFTs of several varieties, bought 2 years ago, has turned into more than 200. I would like the extras to go to persons who will appreciate and enjoy them.

Anyone who wants some of the Big Mouth (also known as Red Purple) must also agree to take 2-3 times that amount of "standard" VFT bulbs.
smile_m_32.gif
I don't want all my Big Mouths to vanish and me be left with a few dozen orphan baby standard VFTs!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

If interested, send private message in forum.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!!! Ususaly people join to beg, you're quite the opposite.
smile_m_32.gif

Hope to see you in some of the other topics.
smilie4.gif

I had no idea that within an hour of posting my free VFT offer I would have 4 private messages from people interested in the offer. Thank you all!
smile.gif
I will try to portion the bulbs between all who are interested, and I'll write private messages to each.

BugWeed--> Thanks. Yes, by "standard" I meant typical or common. I wasn't sure which term is most used.
biggrin.gif

Adnedarn--> Thank you for the welcome! For some reason I seem to have an affinity for Venus Flytraps. Although I live in an arid high plain (eastern New Mexico) I grow my VFTs with no special care or attention beyond their minimum requirements, and they have thrived beyond my highest hopes or expectations. And they are *always* hungry, voracious and ruthless!
smile_n_32.gif

I hope to share and compare with others some notes from my own experience and cultural techniques for VFTs elsewhere in the forum.
smile.gif

Thanks all--

xscd/Steve

That was VFT's.... see what happens if you posted about Byblis liniflora seeds!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hello all-- Thanks to the people who have already written private messages to me, I now have plenty of good homes to send my extra VFTs to.

smile.gif

I am already happily overwhelmed with offers to adopt my extra VFTs, so please, no more private messages from people who have not already responded.

Thank you all who have responded so far (11 CP enthusiasts). I appreciate your responses very much. I'll write private messages to each of you. I will pay for the shipping--it will be a trivial expense anyway and not worth haggling about. Just remember me and maybe you can return the favor sometime.
smile.gif

Best wishes,

xscd/Steve

Wow- you decided to go free shipping also? Truely awesome! Everyone definatly needs to remember you and let you know if they have something you "need" have you made a growlist in the growlist forum yet? It'd help people to see what you have, and what you "need"
smile_m_32.gif

Andrew

And what do YOU need? Red Dragon VFT, Red Pirahna, Sawtooth, Dentate, Fused tooth, Dingley's Giant, Royal Red, Green Dragon, Fang, Giant Red rosetted? Many cultivars to look at XSCD!
Google Dionaea Photos. Find the one from humboldt.edu, go in and feast your eyes if you haven't already. Much to see! Much to learn!!

Bug, I asked the same thing... His VFT growlist is actually really good!! (better than mine!!
smile_l_32.gif
) lol

Adnedarn wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] [...] have you made a growlist in the growlist forum yet?

No, I haven't yet. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll do that!
biggrin.gif

best wishes everyone-- Happy Growing Season!

xscd/Steve

Welcome Steve to the forum!  Glad to have you here.  I will not PM you about VFT since you say your full, but if you end up still having extra after those I will be glad to be an alternate addoption home for your plants.  Do you grow other things?  Orchids by chance?  If your interested in trying some of those we could work out a trade if you like.  Again welcome!  I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Welcome Steve to the forum! Glad to have you here.
Thanks for the welcome. It seems like a really nice bunch of people here at TerraForums.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] [...] I will be glad to be an alternate addoption home for your plants. [...]
Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I'm sometimes overwhelmed with plants.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Do you grow other things? Orchids by chance?
Yes, I do grow a few orchids. They remind me of the rainforest of Peru where I spent my childhood in the 1950s and early 1960s. Some photos of a few of my orchids and CP are at my website:
xscd.com Orchid/CP pics

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] If your interested in trying some of those we could work out a trade if you like.
I'm afraid my greenhouse--sun room, really--is absolutely full right now. I couldn't fit a pygmy drosera into it! It serves quadruple duty as a sunroom with table to drink tea/coffee and read and enjoy warm, sunny mornings on the coldest days of winter; a vegetable garden seedling nursery, an orchid house and a carnivorous plant greenhouse. Right now all of what used to be the extra space a few weeks ago is filled with newly divided and transplanted VFTs and vegetable seedlings.

However, this fall or next spring I will have a number of VFTs of various varieties (see my entry in the "grow list" topic here at TerraForums) for trade or give away. I look forward to sharing.
smile.gif

Sounds good enough, and on behalf of the addoptive parents of your VFT thanks for your generosity!  Again welcome!

Great pics, Steve, and welcome! I love the bead work. I never knew there was a vegetarian D. capensis! How many days did it take to eat that apple?
smile_m_32.gif

JBL wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Great pics, Steve, and welcome! I love the bead work. I never knew there was a vegetarian D. capensis! How many days did it take to eat that apple?

I'm the vegetarian, my pet plants aren't.
smile_m_32.gif

Here's another pic from this morning: a VFT vigorous sunning on the back patio with Mozart and a beverage:
VFT Vigorous

The beadwork I learned in Peru from watching and copying the natives. (I grew up in the rainforest. Maybe that's why I seem to have an affinity for plants?) It is different than typical North American Indian beadwork. I enjoyed the hobby during my childhood all the way into my 30s. (I'm a (hopefully) venerable old man now, at 54.)
cool.gif

The VFTs in my offer that started this discussion thread were shipped yesterday, Monday, April 25, 2006, to 8 forum members. They should arrive in a few days.

For those who receive them, please let me know by private message what condition the plants arrived in. This is my first attempt at shipping VFTs so I'm very appreciative and grateful for any suggestions and comments, after you see how the bare-root plants I sent fared during shipment to your various locations (Arizona, Louisiana, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington state, Oklahoma, Texas, North Carolina).

Steve/xscd

Got mine, and sent you a PM as you requested. But I wanted to thank you publicly for the plants. They are beautiful guys just commin out of dormancy. And you pack verry well! You must have had a good mentor
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks again! I look foward to future trades with you.
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Got mine, and sent you a PM as you requested. But I wanted to thank you publicly for the plants. They are beautiful guys just commin out of dormancy. And you pack verry well!

Thanks Andrew! My VFTs here at home are really getting in gear for the growing season, and I wanted to get the extras off to good homes as soon as possible so they would have all season to acclimate.

I was apprehensive about the shipping technique, so I appreciate the report.
smile.gif

I bet the VFTs will love your new greenhouse. I'll have more named varieties available to trade or share in the fall or spring as my young divisions mature in their separate pots (16 ounce styrofoam drinking containers).

Best wishes--

Steve/xscd

Back